• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Purchasing 46.5 Acres Near Kingman, AZ

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
This starts out as a double post because I have it on my Explorer build thread and decided to start a new thread for the property.

I just went into escrow on 46.5 acres of near pristine land about half a mile down a dirt road off Stockton Hill Road 15 miles north of Kingman. It does have a old road up through the middle and about 2/3 of the way into the property, but that's it. Its clean, no trash except for cow turds. I went up to Kingman to look over the property and was there several different days at different times of the day. Sunsets and evenings are amazing there, so quiet all I can hear is my tinnitus. The sun sets into the mountains behind the property. Its bordered on 2.5 sides by state trust land and is one of the last properties of that size in the area that is not developed. Its also in a wild horse BLM preserve area, and I have a picture from the seller of wild horses on the property. It has a well that hasn't been checked since 2005 so that's on the list. Has electrical and telephone on the property. I have been looking at property in this area for about ten years. I saw this on line and took the RV up to Kingman to have a look. It checks all the boxes for me and I am in a position in my life where I can make this kind of purchase, so I jumped in with both feet.
Old road on property looking down Falcon Valley.
20200625_092832.jpg

When I first looked at it, it didn't seem like that big of a property based upon the property boundary flags. I thought it would look bigger and their boundary flags didn't match the county property maps. I went back there and at great personal risk (exactly how I worded it to the realtor) found the survey markers that are way past what they flagged. The property extends up into a small valley ringed with the Cerbat Mountains. The owner has only been there twice and has no idea what that property is like.

First thing I need to do is improve the drive way and do some dirt work to cut a pad to park the RV on for camping. That will give me a good idea of how much work it would be to cut a pad big enough for a house. Would also install a gate and fence off the lower side that faces the highway. It would effectively close off the rest of the valley. I think I will start on that after it cools off a little, maybe early October. Figure to camp on it several times a year before deciding if I want to build a house there and where on the property to build.

Sunset over the mountains. The property extends about 1/3 of the way up the hill.
20200625_181823.jpg

Looking towards the property from the access road. The low point in the mountains is the end of the valley the property is in.
20200625_175909.jpg

Looking east down the dirt road
20200625_182501.jpg

Small wash
20200625_182325.jpg
20200625_182334.jpg

Looking south about the middle of the parcel. You can see the roof line of the only other house up this far. There are a few houses farther down the valley, and one being built. Some real nice, some not so nice
20200625_181631.jpg

Westerly
20200625_185158.jpg

20200625_181426.jpg

20200625_093140.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
In the escrow paperwork is the original well report. The company is still in business and I put in a call to see if they can test the well for water quantity and quality before close of escrow. According to the original report from 2005, it was drilled down to 305' and then capped. They hit water at 75' and at 220' got 50+ GPM. That seems like a lot of water. There has been some issues with wells farther down into the flat area with the aquifer level dropping so need to get this one checked.

For me not having a good water source on the property would be a deal breaker. I want to have it be as self sufficient as possible; well, solar, etc., with the only outside need being propane because I don't like electric stoves.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Congratulations Brian that looks like a nice place:chug:

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Rick, in the not so distant future, I plan on having you over for a camping trip on the property. My buddy Mike has already advised me I need to have two RV pads cut for starters as he is planning on making it his winter quarters. Need to spend some time there just walking the property, hanging out, looking over the view and sun angles, figuring out where the best spot to build the man cave would be. The problem with 46.5 acres is there are quite a few nice spots to build. If there was only one chunk of usable land it would make it easier, but it appears that most of the property is usable. If the house ends up in a spot that doesn't already have dirt work in the form of RV pads, I would just leave them there and add hookups. I will be trying to keep the property as pristine as possible with only an acre or two developed.

The wife said that it didn't look that big in the pictures. I told her its about 155 of the 1/3 acre lot our house sits on, or about the entire length of our street squared. Really can't get it until you stand in the middle of all that open space.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Thanks.

Mike is a avid metal detector. He asked me to not do any shooting on the property until we detect the entire parcel. I found a bunch of quartz rock and loose decomposed granite so there might be some gold to be found.

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
Is there a limit on the number of cars that can be registered to that address? Asking for a friend....

Cool place. Can't wait to follow along on your build out

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Congrats, that's a neat area! Tbars and I did some exploring around the Cerbats many years ago. Lots of cool trails back in that area.
I have been on every trail around here at least twice. There are thousands of good trails in that area or nearby.

Is there a limit on the number of cars that can be registered to that address? Asking for a friend....

Cool place. Can't wait to follow along on your build out

No SMOG laws in Mojave County.

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
Stoked for you, Brian!

410Fortune

ICE Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
oooooh man those washes....the rocks are just begging to have tires on them!
Way to see it through!!!!!!!!!!!!! the future is BRIGHT

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
oooooh man those washes....the rocks are just begging to have tires on them!
Way to see it through!!!!!!!!!!!!! the future is BRIGHT
That wash looks like a near ready made shooting range to me. I am not planning on driving all over the property. Want to keep it as pristine as possible. Maybe clear a perimeter trail. There are cow trails already. Might go on a campaign against cholla cactus though. Maybe get rid of about half of what's on the property. They are like mine fields for dogs.

I am having a company go out there early next week to test the well and the well water. They are going to put a rush on the water testing to hopefully get it back before close of escrow. They just installed a well pump and tested one on the property below this one and said the water had real good flow and quality, and they don't anticipate any problems. Also getting a estimate from them to make it a functioning well.

I just got off the phone with the realtor and she said I should have stayed out there a few more days. Says the weather was gorgeous the past few days, low 80's with a light breeze. She provided me information for a dirt work guy who also does septic perc testing. I probably won't call him until I can set up an appointment when I am up there next.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Realtor called the seller for me and let him know I was getting the well tested. If the water quality test results are not back by the escrow closing date, he is willing to wait on them. Must be a nice guy.

Well servicing company that is going to test the well is going to write up a estimate to turn it into a working well. They said the estimate would be ballpark because I don't know when I would be doing that.

Realtor also gave me the cell phone number of the owner of the biggest grading, construction, dirt work company in town. I'll wait until I actually own the place before calling him.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Few more pictures
4bf91ce8e6d1e67d7c102081f2a78214l-m1736990879xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg
4bf91ce8e6d1e67d7c102081f2a78214l-m2902748256xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg
4bf91ce8e6d1e67d7c102081f2a78214l-m2958411321xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg
4bf91ce8e6d1e67d7c102081f2a78214l-m3590558120xd-w1020_h770_q80.jpg

I also attached a county property map as a PDF

Attachments

• Maps (1).pdf
    836 KB · Views: 35

410Fortune

ICE Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
Happy cows!
At our camping property back in CO it had a well, it had sat for 10+ years....water was in there about 100' down and the quality was great
So since we did not have power down there I added a "simple pump"
This is the only hand drawn pump on the market that will draw water from over 300' down. I loved that thing it worked really well...no pun. We were able to keep a 275 gallon tote up the hill full of water which gave water pressure to the whole campsite

They make a solar pump that can be added too.......

Hand Pump and Solar Pumps, for Your Well: Simple Pump

Might work for you until you can get a powered well with submersible

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Those hand pumps are expensive. Since the property is only 15 minutes from town and I would need to dump the tanks before I usually run out of water, I think I will pass on the hand pumps. Would save me a lot of money just driving into town, dumping, filling back up with water and going back to park. If I am by myself, I can stay about 14 days with the RV dry camping before I have to dump the black water tank.

I messed around with my steel house plans a little more and think I am about to the point were I would need to send it to a builder and see what it will cost. Its hard to see in the CAD drawing. I would want a traditional pitch roof on the shop part, then a more dramatic steeper pitch roofline on the residence part that extends past the outside walls to form a wraparound porch. The front of the house would be a huge patio that is the roof extended 14'. I shortened the shop length 6' so the entire structure, including the patio, is 100'x60'. The shop area is still plenty big at 54x60. I got a couple of pics off the interweb that are sort of what I want, but not quite.
My man cave drawing
My Man Cave.jpg

Front kind of like this, but much wider and narrower (60x14) and with steel beams. I think these are wood covered steel beams in the picture.
908eb690-c2d2-4489-8010-349c7e9a78b5.c10.jpg

Overhanging roof on sides like this, but not like the front of this picture. I haven't found one like what I am envisioning.
dffcf85bc207b9386c023eda84127349--barndominium-pictures-barndominium-plans.jpg

The steel building houses with large attached shops are about half the cost of a standard stick built home, and much stronger. You can also have a completely open floorplan. I have seen some much more lavish designs than what I am planning at under $75,000. That is just the structure, plumbing and electrical, not the fixtures and appliances. Of course I would have polished concrete floor throughout the residence and no carpet. There are a few steel building contractors in Kingman, but many more in Las Vegas, which is about 1.5 hours away. I am getting way ahead of myself, but its a dream I have been working on for many years.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Nice floor plan. Enough space in the house to be comfortable and plenty of room o work on the toys.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I designed it to be a "empty nester" type house with only one spare bedroom, and a huge great room and master. And if I ever needed more space in the residence section, I could add a second story. When I get visitors, they can bring their own RV's and hook up for as long as they please. I would put in two RV spots with water and electricity hookups. Would have a outside dump station right outside the RV bay door for myself and whoever else needs it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

410Fortune

ICE Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
Barndominium!!!!!!!!!!!

I love it