• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Purchasing 46.5 Acres Near Kingman, AZ

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
In the second bedroom I would turn the bath room 90 degrees and put against the shop wall. Put the toilet on one end with its own small room with a pocket door if you don't have the room for a regular door.Then do a center walkway to the bathroom with two smaller closets on each side.

Looks like an awesome place. Will this become a full time residence and sell your current place?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
Tracy wants to know what are the plans for the riding arena and horse stalls?

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Found this pic on line of how I would want the front of the residence, sort of. Not as steep of a roof and single story, but with all the glass and a big fireplace inside and outside.
8a916012021e3cd8_1923-w500-h400-b0-p0--farmhouse-exterior.jpg

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
In the second bedroom I would turn the bath room 90 degrees and put against the shop wall. Put the toilet on one end with its own small room with a pocket door if you don't have the room for a regular door. Then do a center walkway to the bathroom with two smaller closets on each side.

Looks like an awesome place. Will this become a full time residence and sell your current place?
I was thinking about natural light and windows when I put the bathroom on the outside wall. I never liked bathrooms without windows. Guess I could still put a smaller window on the end. I also like big walk in style closets, but maybe for a guest room it isn't necessary. Besides, there would be tons of storage in the shop, especially against the back wall behind the RV which could be floor to ceiling deep shelves.

I would really like to move out of this area because I am sick and tired of the crowds, traffic, and politics. Every time I leave the house I get pissed off at how people around here act and drive. I know there are a-holes everywhere, but having 3.14 million less people in the county would cut that number way down (San Diego Co 3,340,000, Mohave Co 200,186, City of San Diego 1,430,000, City of Kingman 30,314). I put 250 miles on the Explorer in five days while in Kingman and only saw a few a-hole drivers, and they would be considered amateurs down here. I am running out of things to do here. There are hundreds of new-to-me off-road trails up there. I could build a shooting range right off the porch (I checked, its legal). There is a Mayo Clinic affiliated hospital in Kingman. Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Ace, auto parts stores, but no Costco. Would have to make a Vegas run once a month or so for my Costco fix. There are three lakes (Havasu, Mojave and Mead) and the Colorado River about an hour's drive away and I have my Dad's boat. It would turn a 4 hour drive to the nearest river access into a day trip. Boat has never been in salt water and it never will.
IMG_20160727_130046914.jpg

I could also get a 15% raise by relocating due to the difference in personal income tax rates. The wife is resistant to change so it might end up being a part-time residence for a while. I am going to have a driveway, a couple of RV pads and a gate (would need the gate after making it easy to get up there) built to dry camp there for a while before building anything. I also need to sell my parents house next year and settle the estate before I could build. I don't want a loan, and I don't want to run out of money mid-build.
Tracy wants to know what are the plans for the riding arena and horse stalls?
Its 46.5 acres so there is plenty of room. Since Sarah really likes her job, and is in the middle of escrow for a condominium here, I don't think she would be relocating in the foreseeable future. If things change and the horses end up there, I would build a simple, small metal paddock style barn that matches the house and a big arena down by the road to the property or across the easement road on the 5 acres over there. Barn would have a big lean-too type attachment for a horse trailer, tractor, whatever else. I was going to post a picture of a barn I liked, but there are hundreds of them on line and too many to choose from. The one neighbor off the easement road has a barn and horses, so I could probably talk them into feeding the horses if we went out of town, and vice-versa.

If I decide I really need to live there and build, I will be tempted to go on a land grab and try to purchase the few empty parcels that adjoin the property, especially the two to the south, to remove the chance of anyone building a house that could look onto my property.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I don't have much to do today, so I downloaded and wrote all over some maps from Mohave County. Please forgive my poor handwriting. The first map is of the general area. The road shown as E Peregrine Dr is actually a driveway to the only house over there, and a very rough easement road. It doesn't look like anyone has driven up there in 20 years. There are a bunch of rocks piled up blocking the road just past that driveway. It is a county registered easement to those properties above and behind that house. There is also a county registered easement through that larger parcel 007D, that would be much easier to make a road through. The one parcel above the house I circled and highlighted is the one I would probably try to purchase if I decide to build because its at the same level as the parcel I'm purchasing. I don't know if anyone would ever build there because its all a very steep and uneven hillside. The parcel to the south and north of that one are owned by the same person and I am sure they would build on the larger one just because it has more usable land.

Kingman Large Map.jpg

Second map is a closer up view of the parcels I am in escrow with. They are highlighted in yellow. Kestrel Rd and E Peregrine Dr are both on my parcel as county registered easements. The dirt roads on the parcel I'm purchasing are hardly visible at ground level. The one that goes through the wash is gone.
Kingman Medium Map.jpg

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
If you have a few days to kill we are going to Coyote Lake on Thursday to Saturday.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I have lots of days to kill, but not those days. Maybe next time.

The realtor asked me today if I was still going to go through with the purchase. She said that all the land is being bought up quickly and she got a full price backup offer last night. I noticed most of the parcels I looked at up there are now pending. As long as the well has good drinking water, I'm all in.

410Fortune

ICE Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
I would really like to move out of this area because I am sick and tired of the crowds, traffic, and politics. Every time I leave the house I get pissed off at how people around here act and drive.

I do not miss it, not one bit. I hear you LOUD AND CLEAR
No road rage here...........................we do have idiot drivers but usually its just lost tourist or Sunday am and they are like pushing 90 so they get a pass.........
Have not flipped anyone off, have not been cut off, have not experienced any gang signs, yelling, brake checks, etc.......3 years now closest neighbor is a bird or a moose = happy life.
Our old house in the mountains of Colorado, every single time you left the house road rage happens, too many people, all pissed off and in a hurry....highway 285 from Denver to Conifer, always crowded, always somebody tailgating and brake checking, we uses to call it the "flip off highway" and anytime someone would come home it would take time to decompress........always major wrecks with kids losing their lives, drive by shootings, and all that damn attitude................... I don't miss it AT ALL

I love that SHOME pictured above, outdoor spaces are important when you can actually go outside and enjoy it!!

The market up here is insane........properties and homes gone before they even really hit the market, so many people looking to get away just like you.......better hang onto paradise

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
@RockRanger , how about this for the second bedroom bathroom. I narrowed the bathroom width to keep the walk in closet the same square footage. My favorite parts about this is the huge master bedroom and the 30x32' great room instead of having a family room, living room, kitchen separate.
My Man Cave v2.jpg

I am imagining looking at this view out the main patio, but at enough of a angle so the master catches both the view of the valley and the mountains behind the property.
20200625_093825.jpg

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
The well servicing company went out there yesterday. Arthur Well Service, what a nice bunch of people. They were totally slammed with calls of no water yesterday and this morning, but still went out and tested the well because they knew I needed it done quickly. They are sending me a report next week, but here is what they told me;

Static at 42'. Dropped a pump down to 240' and got 23 GPM, which slowly dropped to 18GPM after 30 minutes. Last 30 minutes was steady at 18.5GPM. Being steady for that long told them it was going to stay at that rate if they ran the pump for 30 minutes or 30 hours. Said the water was cold, which is unusual for up there, but they got that in the other well they setup a few months ago about 300 yards down the valley.

I don't know anything about wells and flow rates so I asked him to explain what a good well was. He said that 5GPM is good for single residence use, 18 is good for a commercial well. They have wells they service for housing tracts that have less. Still need to wait for the water quality tests to come back, but they don't see any reason the water would not be potable based upon their experience in that little valley.

He also briefly told me about wells and pumps. If they were going to turn that into a functioning well they would drop a pump down to 260-280. Taking into account the area it would service is 70' higher in elevation, and 100 yards away, it would still be considered a shallow well so it cost less to setup, and service in the future. He said with a well with that good of a flow rate it would be a good idea to run it off solar with utility as a backup and put a holding tank up above the residence. Pump it for free during the daylight hours to fill the tank so after the setup it costs nothing to use as much water as I wanted. If my math is correct it would take 83 minutes to fill a 1500 gallon tank. Since the plan has always been to have the residence on solar, with utility as a backup when I am welding or running a compressor, this could really work. After paying $250 a month here for water, free water has its appeal.

410Fortune

ICE Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
that's a very good well as far as flow and quantity goes!! Just wait for the quality report now
18 gpm after 30 min is very good IMO!! Stellar in fact

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
The well service guy said I should never have a issue with lack of water with that well. They sampled the water several times throughout the pumping process, but they said the last and most important sample is right before they stop pumping.

RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
I like that. Another option on the second bed closet is move the door across from the sink. Then you enter the closet from the center instead of the end. Either way would work awesome and is going to be a great house.

I pulled up the weather in Kingman. The highs in the summer are about the same as Fresno and the winter is only a few degrees colder. Started making me think.

Also planning a possible partial or full Dusy run around August 8 to 10 plus or minus a few days if you are interested.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
That August run might work.

The weather in Kingman is a little warmer and a little cooler than here in San Diego. Where this property is is about 800' higher in elevation than Kingman and in the foothills of a mountain range so it will be a little cooler overall. Should get a dusting of snow from time to time during the winter, and a few days over 100 in the summer. If its a nice hot day, we can run have the boat in the river in about an hour's time. Mountains are less than that to the south, east and a quick hike up the canyon to the west from the property.

The wife finally saw the house plans and decided we needed a third room for a office/backup guest room. I really want to stick with a one story house so I made the great room a little smaller, got rid of half of the mud room (I can always put a dog wash station in the shop or outside on the patio) and flipped the master to the other side. The master will work better on that side because if I angle the building a little it will get a view in both directions. The great room will still be about 30X30 including the kitchen. The residence area is larger than our four bedroom, three bath house we live in now by a few hundred square feet.
I'm still working on this, not sure if I like it.
My Man Cave v3.jpg

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Or this, depending upon which way I need to orientate the main garage doors
My Man Cave v3a.jpg

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but I was thinking about locations for the vehicle lift in the shop. I have been thinking that having it on one side towards the work area is the way to go, but had a thought about putting it in the middle towards the work end. The only issue I can see with it in the middle is that I wouldn't be able to pull the boat through the shop like I had been planning. Its not a big deal because its easy to back it into a garage. I am thinking of having a roll up door in the center of the shop on the opposite side of the three main doors, but its mostly for air flow and because I like to see outside when working in my garage.
My Man Cave v3b.jpg

MrQ

Smokey the clutch is; Missed shift you did
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 EB, '93 Limited
Damn, that's the proper way to build a house...2/3rds of it being garage. :D

410Fortune

ICE Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
yup its a new trend that makes alot of sense, they are called a "Shome" or "Barndominium"
It is SO NICE to have the shop attached to the house and vise versa, I know I can get alot more done with the shop right next to our living spaces, and hopefully get to see the kids and wife in the shop more often because it is a part of the house... it is working here in Idaho!!
There are some really nice Shome examples on Youtube, video tours, likes and dislikes, etc............ very useful to somebody about to build one!

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
The all steel construction is stronger, fireproof, much faster to build, and less expensive than traditional home construction. It also allows for much less internal support so you can have large rooms without roof supports in the middle of them since its basically just a big steel shop with a house in one end. I am sure when I find a company to build it there will need to be modifications made to my plans.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

kmack

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer
Brian, I've been following your builds and enjoy reading your threads. So this one naturally got added to the list! Congrats and I hope everything works out on this property for you.

I figured I'd do a little "cross-pollination" of forums here and shoot you a link to a "Barndominium" from here in Texas.
Morning Erection, my barndo build - TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums
This guy is basically doing everything (and I mean everything) by himself, so it's been a 4 year project on a forever home. But it might also give you some ideas for your place. There's also a few other barndo-build threads in that forum, but you might have to search for them.

Enjoy!