• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Purchasing 46.5 Acres Near Kingman, AZ

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Wow, that's a good read. I haven't gone through all of it, but he really is doing everything by himself. I think I would have the structure pre-built, then shipped to the site to be reassembled by local steel building contractors. I don't have the time nor the patience for a self build like that. He is saving building cost by over half, and has the satisfaction of doing it himself, but he must be younger than me.

Those interior pictures are giving me ideas though, especially the kitchen.

I have been planning on a huge fireplace at the end of the house in the great room. I was searching the interweb last night and saw some inside/outside fireplaces. I never knew something like that existed. That would be perfect for that huge patio.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

kmack

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Ford Explorer

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Its the learning curve I don't want to take the time for. Moving to a new part of the country and trying to build a place by myself would just take too long. I want to be involved as much as possible, but more in a "tell the craftsman/tradesman what I want and help out whenever possible" type roll. I want to be able to sit on the patio and enjoy the view sooner than four years from now. I do really like the higher ceilings. I was thinking of changing the roof at the residence portion to make it lower, but now I'm not so sure. Maybe just change it to a steeper pitch to get those high and dramatic vaulted ceilings.

If anyone has used a steel building designer/manufacture with good results, please post their information.

410Fortune

ICE Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
now that is what I am talking about! Love the interior finishes, the railing with the tree of life in it, don't let my wife see that or Ill be building one of those............

James (my stepson) is having a metal 20x30 shop put up in about two weeks, we spent the spring preparing the site, This is a metal pole structure we will go back and pour our own concrete. It will take them one day to put up....these guys are the biggest and best in the Northwest been doing these up here since 1974

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Ask them if they know a good company in the Kingman area. There are two steel building contractors in the area, but I know nothing about them. There are several in Las Vegas, but they are mostly commercial construction.

That guy building his own house is a real craftsman. My brother-in-law is a tile contractor here in north San Diego county. He does 100K jobs regularly in houses worth millions. He is a artist, but I don't think I could get him up there without paying him. Besides, I always try to use local contractors and businesses whenever possible.

My realtor has been a great help. She has been in the area since the 70's and knows everyone. She gave me the well service info, the personal mobile number of the owner of the largest dirt work and septic company, and personally knows the county assessor and a county supervisor. She only gives me businesses and people she has personally worked with, and no one is complaining about. I asked her if she knew how to get a official address for the property since it is parcel numbers currently. She emailed the county assessor (not he office, but THE county assessor), who is sending me the forms.

She is also a bit of a amateur detective. About 10 years ago, a bunch of companies were buying up large tracks of land in the area, mostly north of Kingman. She noticed it while doing business with them that it seemed there was something shady going on. She did a little research and discovered that they were shell companies who were purchasing the properties for one person out of Vegas. Once the property was owned, they were drilling several wells and planting trees. Claimed the property was agriculture so they didn't have to pay property taxes (Mohave County charges little to nothing for agriculture property taxes). Since the land wasn't suitable for agriculture (mostly dry lake bed), they used a lot of water. The water table in that area has been dropping to where now people are becoming concerned. Realtor gave her friend on the board of county supervisors all that she knew and they started an investigation. They still don't know what the guy is up to since most of the land isn't suitable for anything but a solar farm.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Got the well report this morning. No nothing; no lead, no arsenic, no bacteria. Well service guy said you could drink it right out of the well head without any issues, clean, clear, cold water, and lots of it. I wired the funds to close escrow.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I modified my building plans a little. I put a island in the kitchen with a overhanging top for bar seating instead of a counter, still not sure if I like it this way but it makes it easier to get in and out of the kitchen. Also stretched out the side kitchen counter so it can be used as a cocktail or food serving area. Added a bench in the mud room. Put a man door on one side of the shop. Thinking about how I want the building to sit on the property, I might have to swap the front and rear of the shop. Moved the lift back a little so it won't interfere with walking through the shop with a vehicle on it. Changed all the roll up doors to 12' width.
My Man Cave v3C.jpg

imp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
Escrow closes TODAY!!

I need to find a local guy to fix the road into the property and cut a couple of RV pads.
Beautiful place! Average altitude appears similar to Kingman, maybe a little higher, those Cholla Cactus work hell with cattle's lips and tongues! Have seen 'em loaded with spines.

Having spent a year 26 miles N.E. of Show Low at 6700', plenty of pinon and cedar for firewood, no water or electric or phone (1983), I can attest to real off-grid experience. Hauled water from Show Low City Park twice weekly, had a newly bought Elmira cookstove, chickens, rabbits, milk goat, brewed my own beer, lighting from Coleman gasoline lamp converted to propane. Best experience of my entire life......it was the result of a work layoff in Phoenix, we had the 40 acres, so WTH! Built our cabin, 16' X 40' barn-style roof, living quarters upstairs. Bought old, big, Servel refrigerator which had a fair-sized freezer compartment.

Then, employer, Penn Athletic Products Co., maker of tennis balls, offered my job back.......damn fool that I was, I moved all our shit back to Phoenix, regrettably.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Sounds like an adventure for a young man. That area must have been awesome in the 80's. Wide open.

This property is 300-400 higher in elevation than Kingman city. Its cooler the times I was there last month. I think its due to the elevation difference, and the mountains. There is a nice cool breeze blowing off the mountains behind the property. There is also a 75' rise in elevation from the bottom of the property to the top and fairly steady. There is a large flat-ish spot right near the top of the parcel where the wash curves around it that might make a ideal spot for RV camping, and eventually my man cave. I'm going to get back up there towards the end of August, stay a few weeks starting out in a RV park. Find someone local with a grader to fix the road, then start camping there. The one house at the end of the road leading to the property must be keep it up and very well. I think I will go knock on their door next time I am there and ask who keeps up the driveway. I don't think its them because I didn't see any grading equipment or tractors on their property. Maybe get the well set up, but I'm not sure if I want a working well sitting there. Need to research that.

410Fortune

ICE Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
usually your working well /pump can be locked when you are away, maybe even take a critical part with you so even if they breach the lock its still INOP.....you are not the first person to want to protect your water when your not there

I have been shopping for a good used road grader for a year now....I missed the great deal because I did not have the cash. I will get one!
Right now I have a plow truck (86 F250 with a 472 and Boss V plow, its a BEAST!!) and a small bulldozer a 1973 Case 350. With those two machines there is not much this road can throw at us we cannot handle....14' of snow, flood, mudslides......dozer has me covered!!
I want a grader too so we can keep this thing smooth AND it can knock the snow burms off the side of the road that build up in winter... A good older small grader can be had for $5-10K if you keep your eyes peeled.
We have a grader guy, if you catch him at the right time he will grade our road for $400.....drive two miles in and drive two miles out for $400....not a bad deal. BUT when he does it he just grades one way and then the other....hes not worried about dirt going into the drainage or building up the crown in the road....just drive in and drive out. So if we want it done right....we buy our own equipment. Then they can give me $400 to do their 2 miles :)
So glad to see you doing this! RETREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gotta have some "me" space away from all the crazy

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
The well service company I have been dealing with says they can install the pump and a small pressure tank, which is the minimum to get it pumping water. It can be used for construction and for us pulling water out of the well. I think the well is in such a out of the way place that no one would see it, but I could lock the electrical panel to keep it from being used. When they install the pump they can cut a hole into the well cap for the lines and weld it back on to slow someone down who wants to steal the pump. I really don't care if anyone uses the water, I just don't want to pay for the electricity to pump it out of the ground. I really need to make friends with the people who live in the one house on the end of the access road. Their house looks down on the parcel with the well so they could keep an eye on it. Heck, I would even give them a key so they could use it to help maintain the road, since it goes through my property and its also the access to my property.

Mohave County will not give the property an official address until I pull permits for a structure. I can, however get a temporary address to use for the power company for billing. I think the power company makes one up until a permanent address is created by the county. All the streets (I am using the term "streets" loosely as they are mostly unimproved dirt tracks) are named after falcons and the valley is named Falcon Valley. The road easement through my property is Kestrel Rd, which is a small bad a$% falcon. The one house at the end of the easement road is on Peregrine Rd (road is their driveway). Main road off Stockton Hill Rd is Falcon Valley Rd. That road ends at my property line.

There is a company in Kingman, Home that say they have built several shopdominiums. They want to meet with me in person to show them what I have in mind. I will set up an appointment when I go up there next. They do have a cool internet address... I am definitely going to ask them for a shirt.
tee1.jpg

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
I remember 20 years ago seeing billboards on 93 outside kingman for 40 acre lots, $500 per acre owner carry . I was a poor college student then so I never gave it any thought.

imp

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
59 Ranchero F250 D'Line
Sounds like an adventure for a young man. That area must have been awesome in the 80's. Wide open.

This property is 300-400 higher in elevation than Kingman city. Its cooler the times I was there last month. I think its due to the elevation difference, and the mountains. There is a nice cool breeze blowing off the mountains behind the property. There is also a 75' rise in elevation from the bottom of the property to the top and fairly steady. There is a large flat-ish spot right near the top of the parcel where the wash curves around it that might make a ideal spot for RV camping, and eventually my man cave. I'm going to get back up there towards the end of August, stay a few weeks starting out in a RV park. Find someone local with a grader to fix the road, then start camping there. The one house at the end of the road leading to the property must be keep it up and very well. I think I will go knock on their door next time I am there and ask who keeps up the driveway. I don't think its them because I didn't see any grading equipment or tractors on their property. Maybe get the well set up, but I'm not sure if I want a working well sitting there. Need to research that.
We've noted that, living adjacent to Laughlin, NV on the river, Kingman's high temps daily are pretty consistently 10 degrees lower than ours, given no weather disturbances going on. Thus, in winter, our near frost equates to 20 degrees or so in Kingman. Snows there a bit almost every winter, rains a lot compared to us. Guess they get maybe 8 to 10 inches annually, to our 5. But, when it's 110 here, it has trouble reaching 100 in Kingman. Our altitude: 550 feet; Kingman about 3100.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Part of the reason I picked that area is the weather. The property is at 3800' elevation, so a little cooler yet.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
For reference
Kingman Medium Map.jpg

I sent a few letters to two owners of adjoining parcels that I thought I would see if I could add to my property. One of the parcels (007B) is 6.5 acres, and about even elevation wise with where I want to eventually build a house. It would be about 400' away, but they could look onto about half of my lot. The other person owns the two parcels that are adjacent to my lower parcel with the well on it and below my larger parcel (004D, 004E). They are both inside of a little hill and if I got them, I could keep anyone from developing anything in the end of the valley that could possibly impact my privacy and view. I haven't heard back from the person who owns the two lots below, but I did get a email from the person who owns parcel 007B.

He asked me why I wanted the property because I did not say in the letter. He says he bought the property because his very good friends live in that one house on the end of the road. He owns several properties all over Arizona and says anything can be had for the right price. I send him a cash offer of what I thought the property would sell for ($8,000), told him about myself, about my recent purchase and my plans. I made sure he understood that I wanted it only to keep the valley private and it would not be developed. He responded that he will keep it in mind, but that has been his favorite piece of land out of all the properties he owns, and he was hoping to someday build a house on it. We went back and forth a few more times. If he built a house on that lot, it would be a small house facing mostly east on the north east corner of the lot. That is good news for me because the hill blocking the other house from view should partially block this one. His friend thought the hill was on his property when he bought the parcel. I asked him to counter offer, but he hasn't responded. He seems like a real nice guy, and said that the family who owns the other house there are outstanding people. Just conversating with him made me feel better because even if he did build a place there, he would be a good neighbor. He said he would forward my email and phone number to the owners of the house so they can get in touch with me because I asked if he knew who maintains the road and if they would be interested in doing some dirt work on my property.

I might just offer him a stupid amount for the lot and see what he says. By stupid, I mean $12,000. Property seems so inexpensive to me because its so crazy high in San Diego. My parents 1.17 acre lot was just appraised at 1.34 million just for the dirt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
California is facing a $54-billion budget deficit over the next year. The perspective of land value is different east of the colorado river looking west. If he doesn't counter offer, I'd try to stay in contact with him. Who knows, he may get sick, want to buy a new boat or have some other money shortage in the future and may want to sell to you then.