• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Purchasing 46.5 Acres Near Kingman, AZ

410Fortune

ICE Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
yeah buddy that's the drill
Sell your land in CA for millions and come out to the open where land is still "Cheap" The lot we had for sale up here two doors over sold this summer, when we moved here it was worth $75K in 2017, now in 2020 with the Covid scare the land sold for $130......now that is a good profit. Unheard of for 23 acres with no utilities! But it is behind a locked gate half river valley half mountain. We wanted to buy it so bad but all our $$$ is tied up and I am not taking out another mortgage unless its to get the lots closer to us.
There are two lots around us we want to buy, the one behind us and the one in front of us. Not for sale currently, but as your new neighbor said, anything is for sale for the right price.
6.5 acres for $12000 is still cheap! Up here in Idaho the word is out and everyone and their inlaws seem to want to come up here.........I say GOOD FOR THEM!!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
California is facing a $54-billion budget deficit over the next year. The perspective of land value is different east of the Colorado river looking west. If he doesn't counter offer, I'd try to stay in contact with him. Who knows, he may get sick, want to buy a new boat or have some other money shortage in the future and may want to sell to you then.
Good advice.

When Newsome's uncle Moonbeam Brown was governor a short time ago, there was a large surplus. Moonbeam was a liberal, but he was a cheap liberal. He didn't like to spend money, except on his bullet train nonsense. Nephew Newsome spent that surplus, and a lot more, in very short order. Not sure if most people know but Brown, Newsome and Pelosi are all related. They are part of the Getty family that has been running California politics for generations.

yeah buddy that's the drill
Sell your land in CA for millions and come out to the open where land is still "Cheap" The lot we had for sale up here two doors over sold this summer, when we moved here it was worth $75K in 2017, now in 2020 with the Covid scare the land sold for $130......now that is a good profit. Unheard of for 23 acres with no utilities! But it is behind a locked gate half river valley half mountain. We wanted to buy it so bad but all our $$$ is tied up and I am not taking out another mortgage unless its to get the lots closer to us.
There are two lots around us we want to buy, the one behind us and the one in front of us. Not for sale currently, but as your new neighbor said, anything is for sale for the right price.
6.5 acres for $12000 is still cheap! Up here in Idaho the word is out and everyone and their inlaws seem to want to come up here.........I say GOOD FOR THEM!!!!!!!!
Part of the reason I want to purchase more open land in that little valley is it will only raise my property values. I could end up one of the largest tracks of usable land in the area. The main reason is that valley is very pretty (you have to like the high desert). More houses would change the feel of the place and not really remove the privacy, but it would change it. As is, if you are on the upper parcel, you can't see another house for a long way, and then only the roofs of two small houses. Its completely private and it feels like you are way out in the middle of nowhere. Only way to keep it that way is to buy up those three parcels.

We have no current plans to sell out house in San Diego. The trust is selling my parent's house to my sister. I am using a portion of my part of the estate for the Arizona adventure.

I am going to let the idea of cash in his bank account swim around in his head for a few weeks, then send him another offer. He also might be more inclined to sell when he sees my house going up and spoiling his view.

I am planning on going there in October for about a month. Stay at the KOA, which is about 15 minutes from the property. I can supervise fixing the driveway and putting in a RV pad or two. When that's done, park the RV on the property and explore. My parent's estate should be nearly worked out by then and I will need a vacation. Heck, I already need a vacation. I can finish up the two family trusts on my laptop as easily as doing it from home, as long as I can get a good cell signal. I did purchase and install a cell phone booster in the RV. When I was on the property I noticed I got a couple bars towards the east end of it, so I figure I can boost that up no problem.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Working on getting back to the property in the next few months. Going to stay at a campground about 15 minutes from the property and see about estimates for building, and dirt work. They had a heck of a snow storm there yesterday. My property is higher in elevation than the city of Kingman, but lower than where this video was shot. My friend has property off the exit in the video.
01-26-2021 Kingman, AZ - I40 Westbound Closed Accident Drone - YouTube

I'm still working on purchasing two parcels below the main one and next to the smaller one with the well. They are interested, but very slow to answer. I think I will get them eventually.

And.....They just opened up a Harbor Freight in Kingman!! So now the closest town has everything except for a Costco, which would be an excuse to run into Vegas for the day once a Month. Awesome.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
We even got it down here...

snow1.jpg
snow2.jpg
snow3.jpg
snow4.jpg

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Still working on getting back to the property to at least get some dirt work done so I can camp on it while working out building plans. It might be sometime in March.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I had a long conversation with the owner of the one house at the end of the roadway through the lower end of my property. Very nice people and lifelong Kingman residents. Husband is the UPS guy out there, wife owns a salon in town and they know everybody. They recommended me a guy who does dirt work who used to live in north San Diego County. Long talk about the stars, how beautiful it is out there, quiet, the new neighbors building a house on the road into the property. Wife is obviously not someone to piss off since she called the county supervisor on a guy from Vegas who owns two parcels on the road in. He towed two old mobile homes in there. First she called him and said that this might not be his dream house, but hers is right down the lane and she doesn't want his trailer trash on the street. Guy sent people out to ground set them, so she called the county. County Supervisor came out and shut him down. Now he has permits, and is following them, and he is putting in stick built two-car garages and it looks nice.

We spoke about how our houses will not be in view of each other, and who owns the surrounding parcels. She thinks the guy who owns the parcel I sent a offer to purchase might be getting a divorce, so he will either sell it to me, or build a house on it for himself. I told her of my intentions of trying to purchase the two parcels below mine to close off the end of the valley, and maybe buy out the guy who put in those two houses mentioned above. I can rent them out and pay the property taxes on all of the parcels no problem. Would also get to chose who lives there, and they could watch the road and my house for me.

Called the dirt work guy today. Very cool guy, says he lives seven miles from the property and will go look at it tomorrow. Says we will be neighbors and he takes care of neighbors. Everyone I have met up there are just nice people. I thought I would not be very welcome coming from California, but they don't mind. I should be back out there in about ten days and he might be able to do the work then, or at least start on it while I am there. Says it will cost me under $2,000 to get the road in and two RV pads in a loop type driveway. I need to make an appointment with the builder up there I have been talking to about my steel house. Things are finally starting to move forward.

410Fortune

ICE Season
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
California is a HUGE state
Only a few bad apples can ruin it for everyone else, that is where the bad wrap comes from
I figure if you are up here trying to give it a go, it doesn't matter if you are from CA or Honduras ...... only like minded people would be crazy enough to do what we do, no matter where they originate from.

Keep up the good work, neighbors/locals can make or break you, I know I have had ALOT OF NEIGHBORS over the years, none of them can hold a candle to the ones I have up here in North Idaho, these guys really know how to LIVE LIFE!!!!!!

I love dirt work, something about a desk job makes you crave heavy equipment and building stuff in the dirt
Seems to me you have found your utopia!!

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I have been in Kingman since Wednesday evening. Spent the day at the property on Thursday. Walked the entire property, found a long dead horse. Met the neighbors, they are great people. They told me that BLM agents shot a wild horse who was stuck upside-down in a ditch near the main road, and dumped it on the property. Nice, our government at work. I was telling them that I had noticed people have been on the property and it looks like there are some new survey markers on the south side, actually adding about 40' to my side. Neighbors gave me a couple T-posts and let me borrow their post driver so I could close off the road. I put a chain across the entrance and a couple PRIVATE PROPERTY signs on the posts. It is crazy quiet here and the stars in the night sky are spectacular.

The guy who was going to do the dirt work's Cat broke down. He met me at the property and we walked it together, so he knows what I want. He is going to fix the road and clear and mostly level about a acre at the end sometime over the next few weeks, . I will try to get up here next month. If I don't like what he did, he says he will finish the job when I'm there next time, but I will for for sure be able to get the RV up there and have a nice camping area for at least 3 RV's. He invited me over to his place and showed me the broken ram on the Cat. He is a very cool guy with a beautiful 62 acre mini-ranch a few miles away.

I have been spending time on the property and talking to locals. There are two parcels down below mine that have guys working at them, with ground set mobile homes and 2 car garages. I went over and spoke with them. One of the worker's fathers is the manager of the properties. I might make an offer on the parcel closest to my lots. If I can get that one, and the two empty parcels next to it that are owned by someone else, I will have most of that end of the valley locked up to new construction. I could rent the house and be in control of who lives there and make part of the deal watching my house when I am not there. The rent would pay all the utility bills and property taxes on all my properties, plus slowly increase my bank account as I deplete it to build. I will be calling the manager to see if we can work something out. Not too sure I want to get all that property, but would rather invest in land than stocks right now anyways. When you are up on property the other houses seem close, but when you are down at the other houses, the part of the property where I am planning to build seems a long ways away.

I went for a drive today to the mountains to the south of Kingman, the Hualapai . Beautiful area. Went off Blake Ranch Road to go see the King Mine Mansion.
20210320_123901 (1).jpg

Trail was a little more challenging than I would have normally done alone, but did not know that until I was over half way into it already. I was not sure if that trail went all the way through because I forgot my guide book, so I back tracked. Went up through Antelope Canyon, and out through Pine Lake area back to Kingman. At about the highest elevation of the trip, my passenger front window decided to quit working while in the down position. I got back to the RV park and pulled the door apart. The power window motor is the last original as all the others have been replaced. Local Autozone had a replacement unit and was five minutes away. Picked one up, drilled out the rivets, then something got all screwed up with the regulator. I got the window up and locked into place, and gave up for the day.
Mountains south of Kingman
20210320_140701.jpg

20210320_135241.jpg

Heading south to Lake Havasu or Quartzsite for the next several days. I figure I have the RV all packed up, might as well take a road trip. Will take the window regulator apart on another day.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Cool photos. There is a ton of cool stuff to Explore up there.

Our sheriff's deputies say that the only no trespassing signs they will arrest someone for violating are those that have the state statute on it. I have these on our gates:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C4UMUES/?tag=serious-20

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I remember you told me that in a PM. I had signs made up that say just that.
20210319_172849.jpg

I am now in Quartzsite, Arizona camping on BLM land. I will stay here for 3,4,5, maybe 6 days then head on home. I will mess with the window regulator tomorrow and see if I can get it functioning again. If not, I can order a new regulator through Autozone in Parker, which is about 35 miles away. They have a next day pickup for that part, needs to be sent from Vegas.

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
The window regulator is no longer serviceable. Decided that since the weather is mild, I don't need a front passenger window that rolls down, but with the motor removed there is nothing to hold it in place. I installed a motor and the regulator is binding so it doesn't move, so I took it back out. I pushed the window all the way up, and with the help of some zip ties and a hose clamp, I fixed the regulator in place with the window up. I ordered the parts to fix it and will do that when I get home. If its not too windy tomorrow, I will go on a drive to Dripping Springs.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I'm glad you were able to get the window up for the ride back. Do they have a repair kit for it?

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I ordered the entire regulator with a motor for $25 off eBay. Also ordered a new set of door switches for all four doors because I saw that they were available and mine are OEM. Went for a long drive, mostly off-road today and the window stayed up and sealed. Its fairly windy here with scattered showers today. Was going to go up to Dripping Springs but I got side tracked and ended up taking a very long moderate to easy trail that goes from Golden Nugget exit off I-10 and winds along the edge of the New Water Wilderness Area. Very pretty trail and only had to stop once for a group of geriatric group of side-by-side wheelers who took over 5 minutes to go past me. I was warned about a ledge in the trail that I could see them gingerly drop down from where I had pulled to the side. I said thanks, but my mind was filled with sarcastic comment. Ledge was about a foot high.

FROADER

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie
Super random, but I just thought about it... I have a friend who has been a tile guy for 30+ years and does outstanding work, who actually lives out there now. I believe he's near exit 91 Fort Rock Road. When the time comes for that type of work on the house, let me know if you need a guy, and I'll get you his info!

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I will need a good tile guy for the bathrooms, unless I go with all granite counter tops and showers. Sarah's boyfriend was showing me some samples of what the rich folks are doing now, engineered quartz. Your friend would be a good resource for costs of things in the area. The neighbor and the dirt work guy seem to know every type of tradesman in the area, so they might know your friend. I already have contacts for cabinet makers, shipping drop locations, home builders, etc. I seem to be tripping over the right people in the area. Neighbor says call him anytime, and don't hesitate to ask for something before buying it because if he doesn't have it, he knows someone who does. Says that's how it works there, and I already proved myself to him when I returned the post driver within 20 minutes of borrowing it. Also told me to now worry about the property, that he would keep an eye on it.

I made sure he understood those no trespassing signs were not for him because he asked permission to continue riding horses up the wash into the mountains. He also offered to help me drive more posts to fence a bunch of the property when the time comes, but manual labor is cheap enough there that I would not be doing that myself because I will probably end up fencing off about half the property between the big and small washes down to the easement road after he told me he fenced around his house after range cattle started using his porch for shade. If the big plans work out with my budget, I would not want cow poop on my porch, or find them lounging in the pool on warm days.

While I was last out there, I got a tour of two very nice homes by their owners. One is the neighbor to my property, the other the dirt work guy. Large, beautiful southwest style homes. Neighbor built his with his father-in-law. Both had features that I really like in a home, all granite counter tops and built-in cabinets, dressers, book shelves, etc. Neighbor had access to a local saw mill when he was building his house, and its has solid wood beams inside and 12-14" thick round stripped and stained logs as deck posts outside. There is not much in the way of built-in's here in San Diego, but out there it seems to be the norm for higher end homes there. Area seems to go from ramshackle slapped together houses, to premanufactured to real nice houses with not much in between the prefab and real nice houses.

I still need to talk with the builders I am thinking of using about property taxes and attached garages. If Mohave County includes a garage into the overall square footage of a home for tax purposes, I am going to end up with a detached house / shop. Would turn the mud / laundry room into a formal entrance and figure out another location for the laundry room.

FROADER

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie
My friend has one of those manufactured “cabin” looking places. It’s just him and his son (and their German Shepard Hank) out there living the dream after getting out of Huntington Beach.

D8B8513B-B642-45BF-97A9-F020EFB0FC2C.jpeg

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
A few pictures from when I was up there. Looking south from the northwest corner of the property. The southern boundary a little past that real old road at the base of the hill. For some reason, my camera made it look real dry.
20210318_115711.jpg

Looking into the Cerbat Mountains from about 2/3 into the property
20210318_143655.jpg

I don't think Ranger had ever seen a cow before. I own about 2/3 of the way up the first hill in the picture.
20210319_173624.jpg

20210319_173659.jpg

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
Got enough dirt work to get the RV up there and a couple more. Fixed up the road so a semi can get up there according to the dirt guy. He really made the road nice.

IMG_0826.jpg

Cleared about a acre and he left as many of the mesquite trees as possible.
IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0839.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
The dirt guy commented again how great of a view that property has. He occasionally brings his wife along when he does dirt work and she walked around and enjoyed the view all day on Sunday.

There are two washes, one fairly deep and car width, and one small, that form a triangle starting in the State Trust land behind the property down to the access road. It encompasses about half of the property within that triangle. I am planning on eventually fencing in that triangle with gates on all three sides, but am going to wait until I start building or the house is finished. Just to keep larger critters like range cattle and wild horses out of that area. I will keep the wash open because they use it as a trail in and out of the Cerbat mountains to the west. I will be posting Private Property, No Trespassing signs where wash intersects the access road next time I go up there. Luckily there are large bushes and rocks that block a vehicle from driving up the wash and it doesn't look as wide from the road.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.