• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Purchasing 46.5 Acres Near Kingman, AZ

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I am starting to get things in motion with building a house. Made instant friends with the guy who did the dirt work on the property and he knows everyone in the trades in town. He is going to line up a meeting with a few contractor home builder friends who work out of Kingman that he trusts. After I get their names, I will call my future neighbor who used to be a contractor and told me not to sign anything with anyone in town until I talk to him first.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I'm sure you already thought of it, but in case you haven't be sure to spec at least one roll up door for the shop. More ceiling height for whatever you have on the lift. I've been waiting for a roll up door to replace the panel door since the beginning of April. I wish I had thought of it when I built the garage. The company I ordered from claims that they have no idea when it will be in. "We just keep checking every day" is what they tell me. Probably in a container on it's way from China :(

BKennedy

Elite Loser
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, PRofK
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I am thinking of doing all four doors with roll ups. The ceiling height in the shop will be 16' because of the RV. That's what the steel building company says they do for RV garages because then no matter what I get in the future, it will fit and still clear the door frame.

I spoke with the builder today. Nice guy, spent about an hour jawing about the area and 10 minutes talking about the house. Am sending him information so he can get started, but we have to wait for the steel building company, 8-12 months. He thinks he can speed them up because he knows them. He says lumber prices have already dropped a lot so steel should be as well. He's going to call the steel building company in the morning for me. Let them know he is going to be my General Contractor for the build. He is also going to call around about a pool contractor. I want a nice decent pool/spa. Nothing extravagant, but it has to have a lagoon entrance so the critters can get back out if they fall in. I don't want to be scooping dead animals out of it every morning. I want the house to be the kind of place that I have no real reason to leave and a pool seems like a good idea for a place that sees 100+ temps in the summer. He says my budget is way more than I should need, was talking about building nice houses for $140,000-200,000. He said he is a small time builder, and the big builder in the area is selling 28 houses a month. The area is booming so I am glad I got the property when I did. Also said permits take a while lately, about a month. I laughed because it takes a year to get one here.