Purchasing decision - 1998 Explorer Sport (Auto) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Purchasing decision - 1998 Explorer Sport (Auto)

GS Audio

Reaction score
City, State
NYC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 2 DR
Hi guys. I'm new to the forums, but hope with your advive, will become a regular visitor and contributor.

I'm looking for a second/winter/beater vehicle.

Looked at the following last night:

1998 Explorer Sport
2 door
auto
4wd
a/c
sunroof
leather
116k miles
black w/grey leather

It drove quite well. Tranny seemed fine, has new tires, brakes, and shocks. Was owned by a woman, so not beat on. Its very clean, no rust anywhere.

Only known issue is the radio display, but that will most likely get yanked for a head unit with MP3 capbilities and XM radio.

Again, it drove fine, heard no noises other than some sway bar bushings in front that seem a little dry.

Owner is VERY eager to sell and is asking $2100 OBO.

So, my question to you experienced folks.....would you buy or not? I had no intensions of offering more than $1400-1500, so at that price, should I take the plunge?

This deal seems too good to be true......which is what all the confusion is about.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi guys. I'm new to the forums, but hope with your advive, will become a regular visitor and contributor.

I'm looking for a second/winter/beater vehicle.

Looked at the following last night:

1998 Explorer Sport
2 door
auto
4wd
a/c
sunroof
leather
116k miles
black w/grey leather

It drove quite well. Tranny seemed fine, has new tires, brakes, and shocks. Was owned by a woman, so not beat on. Its very clean, no rust anywhere.

Only known issue is the radio display, but that will most likely get yanked for a head unit with MP3 capbilities and XM radio.

Again, it drove fine, heard no noises other than some sway bar bushings in front that seem a little dry.

Owner is VERY eager to sell and is asking $2100 OBO.

So, my question to you experienced folks.....would you buy or not? I had no intensions of offering more than $1400-1500, so at that price, should I take the plunge?

This deal seems too good to be true......which is what all the confusion is about.

Thanks!

Hi,welcome to the fourm. Does it have the OHV or SOHC engine? If it has the SOHC check for any noise from the engine at cold startup and high RPM. There are issues with the chain tensioners.

Otherwise for $1500 you can't really go wrong.

I have a 98 4.0 SOHC. I like it alot. 140,000 miles and no big issues as of yet...knock on wood. The radio display is also an easy fix. Check the forums for more info. Good luck and welcome.

Hi,welcome to the fourm. Does it have the OHV or SOHC engine? If it has the SOHC check for any noise from the engine at cold startup and high RPM. There are issues with the chain tensioners.

Otherwise for $1500 you can't really go wrong.

Final price.........$1400.:thumbsup:

Its the SOHC. Cold start fine, no noise anywhere. I may have scored a HUGE deal here. The next few weeks of use will prove me right or wrong.:burnout:

I have a 98 4.0 SOHC. I like it alot. 140,000 miles and no big issues as of yet...knock on wood. The radio display is also an easy fix. Check the forums for more info. Good luck and welcome.

Any links you can post where I can find the radio fix? Not planning to get a radio anytime soon, so gotta deal with this one for now.:thumbsup:

Heck yea man! Congrats! Wish I could find that kind of deal.

I think the second generations are some of the best concerning looks, drive ability, and modifications. There's so much you can do so easily. Congratulations and welcome!

:ttiwwp:

Heck, for $1400, I would have bought it for spare parts for my truck!!

Nice score!!

Any links you can post where I can find the radio fix? Not planning to get a radio anytime soon, so gotta deal with this one for now.:thumbsup:

This is a major issue with these truck, I had to get a completely re-built one. Mach system right? If it is let me know I have an email of a guy that re-pairs them and will be able to help you out.

Is this the one your having problems with?
1998FordExplorerMachCDTape.jpg

Back