• Register Today It's free!

purchasing lowering blocks

99Mounty

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mountaineer
this may have been a common topic, but i couldn't find much info regarding it from the search.

i'm looking into lowering my truck 1.5 inches. however, i'm having a hard time finding 1.5" lowering blocks. i went to autozone and pepboys, and they only have 1" and 2" universal lowering blocks/u-joints/etc..

so my question is, would it be worth it to just spend the cash to get the lowering kit from EE? or should i just get the 2" lowering blocks? would that extra .5 inch or so make a difference?

also, regarding universal lowering blocks/u-joints -- i've read that the universal ones which you get from autozone are kinda hard to install -- something like, i need to squeeze the u-joints to make em fit. is this true? would the EE lowering kit provide a nicely fitting U-joints?

my goal would be to make it work while saving money and time. can anyone offer some advice? thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went with the Explore Express lowering kit' the fit was perfect.

Good luck.....

Since money IS somewhat a factor, just get the Autozone ones for $25. True that the U-bolt needs to be forced in, its nothing a little hammering won't fix. I think it is even possible to trim the 2" block to make it 1.5" but I would just leave it as is- the lower the better.

The u-bolts really arent a problem. Just as long as you have a good grip you can pop em right in. I have the 1" lowering blocks from autozone on mine.

ok, you are talking about u bolts.... not u joints... i was like um, u joints have ntohing to do with blocks... well except that the ujoint may be more stressed due to a different pinion angle......
i have 3" blocks on my yota and they are fine... actually, i want to find some 2" blocks that are angled to help out pinion angle and stress my u joints less.....

Those universal ubolts aren't bad on 1 or 2 inch blocks, but they're a royal pain in the ass with a 3 inch block.

Jim you won't find a pinion angled 2 inch block. Only 4 inch blocks come pinion angled. The pinion angle will not be bad with a 2 inch block.

Thanks for all the replies.

At first I was a bit hesitant to try the autozone blocks, but I think I'll go ahead and buy the 1" blocks from autozone.

I'd like to just get the kit from EE, but I find it to be too expensive for my budget.

Oh yea, btw - a quick question. In lowering, do I turn the torsion bolts CW? Also, I read that Aldive did this without jacking up the explorer.. so I'm guessing all I need to do is just turn the torsion bolts CW?

Thanks so much..

Loosening the bolt lowers the truck.

Be prepared to get the truck to the allignment shop soon after lowering it. Camber kit with the alignment is also needed. Cost me about $200.

Originally posted by X-factor
Loosening the bolt lowers the truck.

Be prepared to get the truck to the allignment shop soon after lowering it. Camber kit with the alignment is also needed. Cost me about $200.

$200 is a lot! My last alignment cost me $59.99. Do you know how much just the camber kit cost you? Because if it's over $100, I might as well get the EE lowering kit?

By the way - thanks for clearing that up for me Aldive... CCW.

Camber Kit cost $25 per side ($50 total) plus $90 to install plus $60 for the actual allignment.

Buying the kit at EE will only get you the Camber Kit. You still have to pay someone to install it.

Originally posted by X-factor
Camber Kit cost $25 per side ($50 total) plus $90 to install plus $60 for the actual allignment.

Buying the kit at EE will only get you the Camber Kit. You still have to pay someone to install it.

The price you quote is very high.

I paid $95 for the installation of the adjusters and t alignment.

Dead Link Removed

Originally posted by aldive
The price you quote is very high.

Is not a quote. It's the actual price I paid. Check that, it's the actual OVERPRICE I paid.

Everything just cost too much here, I guess.

I paid $125 for the kit, installation and alignment.

Ohhh great! You're killing me, X24! :( Tell me the shop you used, I might use them in the future instead.

Well, that was a goodyear shop but they kinda screwed me over. At the time of the alignment I had a bad ball joint that they didnt tell me about so the alignment was for nothing and I found out a few months later when my tires started looking funny. I took it to another shop (private shop) and he said there is no way that ball joint was good when they did the alignment. They just dont wear out that fast. So I had Ford replace the ball joint under warranty and had the private shop do an alignment for $50 and a year later everything is still fine.

Back