Purdy built 5.0 Explorer engine. Pics inside. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Purdy built 5.0 Explorer engine. Pics inside.

rocket 5979

Resident Gearhead
Reaction score
City, State
Lake Villa, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT 4.6
Mods on engine are:

Trickflow Stage 1 cam
TFS Intake upper/lower (port matched to heads)
P&P'ed GT-40P heads w/ bigger valves
Comp Cams 1.6 RR's
Comp dual springs
Cobra 24 lb/hr injectors
Torque Monster headers
75mm SN-95 TB
ARP hardware

Total performance mods on vehicle are all the listed above plus:

KBX Custom CAI
Custom side exit dual exhaust w/ dual Magnaflows
SCT Tuned via Xcal2
Baumann Shift Kit (Installed @ stage 3)
Extra aux. trans cooler

Eventually I will get my buddy to do Flex-a-lite dual electric fans and a Meziere electric water pump.

Now that Jim has started to get his azz back in gear after 4+ months I hope to get this thing finished up and out of my garage here soon. Then once I have the extra room it is onto the LS turbo project that will happen late summer.

Attachments

• Jims 5.0 Explorer Engine 006.jpg
    Jims 5.0 Explorer Engine 006.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,589
  • Jims 5.0 Explorer Engine 014.jpg
    Jims 5.0 Explorer Engine 014.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 1,354
  • Jims 5.0 Explorer Engine 019.jpg
    Jims 5.0 Explorer Engine 019.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,159
  • Jims 5.0 Explorer Engine 023.jpg
    Jims 5.0 Explorer Engine 023.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,708

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, since it's been in your garage for over 30 days, I guess it's yours. You can go ahead and send to me; I'll throw that in my 01. ;) Looks good.

Looks nice--
What are you doing about the EGR elbow? You won't have room for that purdy oil fill in rear pass side valve cover--
please don't tell me egr is being eliminated--that's the wimp way out!!

Thats :censored:AWESOME! :burnout:

Cant wait to see it in....

That tube on the top of your right bank Header is the EGR tube??

Thats the difference with the GT40P heads , right?

It does look like its aweful close to the valve covers.....Itll be tricky..

Good luck Brother!

Yep, that is for the EGR tube.

Great work! Hopefully mine will be there in similar form in a couple weeks. The cleaning starts tonight.

Question, All that work and you didn't paint the block?

Looks nice--
What are you doing about the EGR elbow? You won't have room for that purdy oil fill in rear pass side valve cover--
please don't tell me egr is being eliminated--that's the wimp way out!!

Probably do a custom EGR tube. I have an extra one that is more or less brand new laying around from the Kenne Bell Explorer project. I might just bend, modify and cut it to fit. If I end up getting tired of it then I will just eliminate it. I am trying to keep this as emissions "legal" as possible.

The 45 degree elbow should help with the placement of the EGR tube to prevent contact with the oil fill. Either way that is small potatoes.

Jon, I don't want to hear about "the wimp way out" from you Mr. No Tune for over a year... :D Hehehehehe.

Question, All that work and you didn't paint the block?

Meh, no reason to. A little rust doesn't hurt it none and with all the accessories on top you cannot really see the engine annyways. This truck will look nice under the hood but there is no intentions to make it a show vehicle. It will be meant for enjoyment.

BTW, I knew that someone was going to mention the rust. Hehe. Nitpickers...;)

Rob--
Do you drop the engine in with the mount plates on, or set it onto the plates?
I use the latter method--just easier for me--

Nope, the mounting plates will be attached to the mounts and the engine with the headers already attached will be lowered on them and bolt on from the bottom. This should allow me to keep the headers attached while dropping the engine in place so I do not have to mess with those bolts once it is in.

When I pulled it I took the ppllates with the shortblock, but that was only due tot having the entire top end of the engine off with the stock manifolds removed. It was liiterally a 10 minute job to pull the engine from there. Just unbolt the tranny and TC, take the 4 plate bolts off and pull it out with the crane.

Ok Rob,
I know you have the resources for fabbing this--so keep me in mind here--

the 45 degree elbow means you need also a 94-95 mustang style throttle body--which I have installed
this will move the throttle pull to the left side--against the ac accumulator lines-the best I could come up with without welding on the linkage was to convert to front pull--
Now--could you be a buddy and fab an axtra throttle linkage bracket when you get it sorted? I'll compensate you of course-- I have mine real close.

Oh-the TPS harness is a bit different also--

I think you should bust it back apart and paint it. Come on man, do it right.
hehe

so instal it already !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok Rob,
I know you have the resources for fabbing this--so keep me in mind here--

the 45 degree elbow means you need also a 94-95 mustang style throttle body--which I have installed
this will move the throttle pull to the left side--against the ac accumulator lines-the best I could come up with without welding on the linkage was to convert to front pull--
Now--could you be a buddy and fab an axtra throttle linkage bracket when you get it sorted? I'll compensate you of course-- I have mine real close.

Oh-the TPS harness is a bit different also--

Once I get it all fabbed up I will keep you in mind.

so instal it already !!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it were my project it would have been done 4 months ago. I am trying to somewhat stay out of things when it comes to the decision making so I can let my buddy takes the reigns of his own project. There have been a few times where I have had to step in. I am trying to let this be a good learning experience for him so occasionally there has to be a few screw ups along the way so he can learn from it. :salute: Trust me when I say that it has been hard to refrain from taking full control of the project. ;)

Nope, been busy with other more important projects. Also, this weekend I will be leaving to Maine for another two weeks to teach classes up there so no progress will be made again until mid August.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back