Purpose of these black rubber things inside the doors? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Purpose of these black rubber things inside the doors?

FordShelby

Reaction score
City, State
Blue Ridge mtns VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Sport
Although I've lost one of these from the center of the rear hatch, I've always wondered what purpose they serve. Anybody know for sure? I'm not speaking of the "stop", but the small black flap looking piece.

IMG_1898.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe they keep debris from entering the inside of the door while (if the not-quite-a-recall-but-an-FSA-campaign is believed) they may serve a purpose in helping seal the vehicle from the outside (smells, etc.)

I thought I read somewhere they were drain holes for water, thats why they are loose fitting. If they are missing they will be replaced if you take the Explorer in for the CO concerns service visit.

I thought I read somewhere they were drain holes for water, thats why they are loose fitting.

That's absolutely true of the hole itself, yes.

Those remind me of the "duckbill" one way drain flapper valves that have been used in boats forever.

Only issue is when debris got stuck inside the valve, boats would sink. Wouldn't happen here. LOL

Automatic Flapper Drain Plug Set |

Thanks guys. The drain makes sense and now I can kinda see how they would act as a check valve. Which makes me think the orientation may make a difference.

Back