Pursuit mode | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pursuit mode

my2015p71

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 EXPLORER PIU
Prior to brining my explorer into Ford, pursuit mode would activate upon aggressive driving. Now, even with 10 min. of intentional aggressive driving pursuit mode will not activate. The vehicle was brought in to Ford for recalls. Would Ford have turned the pursuit mode off on my vehicle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's possible they would have turned it off, probably most likely that is what happend. Same thing happen to my uncle's Crown Vic., he had it in at the "stealership" for something they had to reprogram the PCM what they call "updates" LOL, after that he noticed it did not have as much power after that, LOL.

Prior to brining my explorer into Ford, pursuit mode would activate upon aggressive driving. Now, even with 10 min. of intentional aggressive driving pursuit mode will not activate. The vehicle was brought in to Ford for recalls. Would Ford have turned the pursuit mode off on my vehicle?

Can you be more specific? What is actually not happening? Which part(s) of pursuit mode?

Can you be more specific? What is actually not happening? Which part(s) of pursuit mode?
It dose not hold the high RPM'S when changing gears like it did just before bringing it in. It now drives like a normal Explorer when you drive aggressively.

I doubt that would have turned it off purposely, something must have NFG'd.

I was thinking the same about mine after service visit to Ford Dealer. Mostly single downshift, rarely double, gas mileage up by 2 MPG and shifts at lower RPM's. The dealer did the exhaust leak stuff (exhaust tips, and body plugs), and re-programed how the fan works. Is there any "tell" as to Pursuit Mode or just seat-of-the-pants??

I went out to a back road and drove the hell out of this explorer. Pursuit Mode does not activate!!!!!! Before bring this thing into the dealer Pursuit Mode would active under hard driving, not nothing!!!! The dealer did the recalls and engine mounts. How can I turn Pursuit Mode back on??????

Stopped by the dealer this morning to see if they could do anything. No one there has ever heard of Pursuit Mode; they could not help. Does anyone know if this is an actual program or is it something mechanical. Trying to figure out how it became disabled.

Ask them if they even touched the PCM. I don't think the FSA for the exhaust leak even had a PCM calibration update.

If they're still playing ignorant to Pursuit Mode -- it's covered in section 307-01B (Automatic Transmission -- 6-Speed Automatic Transmission 6F50/6F55)of the 2017 WSM I have--probably close/similar to the 15 and online copy they'd find in PTS/OASIS. Look under SYstem Operation and Component Description, "Active Transmission Pursuit Mode."

Stopped by the dealer this morning to see if they could do anything. No one there has ever heard of Pursuit Mode; they could not help.

I suggest going to a dealer that actually sells interceptors.

Good call -- I didn't even know about that one

I suggest going to a dealer that actually sells interceptors.
This is the dealer that sells the new PI units. They asked there tecs for help and they said there is no such thing as "Pursuit Mode". At this point the vehicle drives fine, so Im not going to use more time asking them for help.

That makes me want to disconnect the OBDII port prior to taking my vehicles to the stealership for any recall service. Doubt they'd invest the time into trying to fix that if they're working on a suspension or other issue. If I had to guess, it's probably procedure to run diags to see if anything else needs attention and apply any updated calibrations. It might be policy to apply a standard civilian eco-calibration to all vehicles that aren't part of an active police fleet.

Of course they're going to lie about it and plead ignorance. They did something that wasn't explicitly part of the service you agreed to, and they probably have no idea how to put it back the way it was.

IDS identifies the vehicle and auto selects any calibration/firmware updates. The dealer can't pick and choose.

Transmission Programming is part of the PCM calibration.

Service Manual:

Active Transmission Pursuit Mode (ATPM)

ATPM is a feature within the transmission software that enables the transmission to be more aggressive with shifting during aggressive driving (e.g. pursuit). Police vehicles have ATPM software that uses accelerator pedal, brake pedal, and steering position input to alter the shift scheduling for pursuit purposes.

The transmission software changes how the transmission shifts when it senses the vehicle is being driven aggressively and switches it back to save fuel when the aggressive driving is completed.

The software logic is made up of 2 parts:

• Brake torque-induced logic to handle downshifts under braking
  • Upshift inhibit logic to hold gears around the corners; during corner exit, the transmission has not upshifted so there is no delay from the transmission downshifting out of a corner
Brake Torque Logic

• Uses brake line pressure and decleration rates as inputs and knows if the vehicle is performing an aggressive braking maneuver.
  • If a set threshold is passed, the transmission software downshifts to the next possible gear during the braking event.
  • The brake pressure threshold cannot be passed during normal driving maneuvers.
Upshift Inhibit Logic

• Uses lateral acceleration (cornering) to inhibit upshifts.
  • When the lateral acceleration threshold is crossed (when the vehicle turns hard enough), the vehicle holds gears and upshifts only at redline.
  • Stays active for 30 seconds after pursuit driving is completed, or deactivates when there is three continuous seconds of closed throttle.

Pursuit Mode was a lot of fun while it lasted. Now I'm back to regular explorer mode. They must have turned it off when they did the exhaust upgrade.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The way I have been taught as well as experienced using pursuit mode at work.....it adapts to how it is driven. It is hard to explain but when we push the cars at work, its done in ways you would never do to your own vehicle and will adapt to that driver over time. Enough time may have passed from when it was driven in this manner that caused it to "learn its new driver". It is also worth noting that the vehicle now has significantly less weight in it.....SIGNIFICANTLY. For ***** and giggles I wonder if throwing a crazy amount of weight in would cause it to kick in.....

I was told but never confirmed that we were able to turn it on and off using the dash options.

The first time I got to drive a patrol car with pursuit mode on it, it scared the **** out of me when it downshifted for me.....I understand the desire to use it....hope this information somehow helps!

Back