Put in engine now tranny issues! Help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Put in engine now tranny issues! Help!

Reaction score
City, State
Battle Ground, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
I just got done installing my engine back after changing the rear main seal and all the gaskets and now my tranny won't shift! I made sure all the fluids were topped off and all the bolts and nuts were tight but no good! I also am getting a metal on metal sound but when I took out the starter to take a look there was no sign of metal but my starter ring has broken the welds that hold it onto the flex plate.

my starter was making that sound too and when i replaced the solenoid on the firewall it went away cuz sometime if that fails then it tells the starter to stay engaged too long. as far as the shifting problem goes you might want to check the vacuum line that goes to the transmission. sort of a tight squeeze for your hand if your a big guy but that all ways seems to be my problem when my transmission wont shift into second until it's like at 4000 to 4500 rpm

when do you get the metal on metal sound?

well the metal on metal sound was involved with the starter and thats gone but I need to replace the flywheel now... broke about six teeth off. As for the tranny I did find that the hose was disconnected plugged that back in checked the fluid again and still nothing! It goes in park but nothing else. Help!

Back