Put in new clutch but cant get it out of gear.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Put in new clutch but cant get it out of gear..

Post number 8 has been selected as best answered.

ddave

Reaction score
City, State
Ft Lauderdale FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
Hello.. I've replaced the clutch, pressure plate, slave cylinder and pilot bearing in my ranger. Before I threw the tranny back in I put it in first so I could line up the splines easier by rotating the drive shaft. Everything went in fine. Reinstalled the drive shaft. Now the gear shifter appears to be in nuetral but the tranny is still in gear (can't roll the truck). I haven't bled the new master cylinder and slave yet. Is it normal that the truck is still in gear and would installing the new clutch master cylinder and bleed the system fix that?
I just don't want to install a new clutch master cylinder and bleed the system (what a PAIN) if there is already a problem with it being in gear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With the truck off, you should be able to take it in and out of gear with no problem since nothing is actually rotating. Have you tried moving the shift lever and putting the transmission in a different gear?

It's also possible that if you removed the shift lever then moved the shift rails at any time while you had the transmission out, then put the shift lever back on that you have it on incorrectly and it's not moving the shift rails at all and it's still stuck in 1st.

Tried shifting it after I reattached the shifter..would only go left and right.. but you might have a point about the shifter being in wrong. I'll check it out...Could it be something binding from the tranny reinstalled improperly? It went back in rather easily or might there be a problem with the tranny itself?

Thanks I. W. Shifter in wrong! Easy fix... I'm sweating the small stuff! On to the bleeding...
Running into the same issue. If shifter is wrong how do you fix it? Can only go left and right…

Running into the same issue. If shifter is wrong how do you fix it? Can only go left and right…
You're going to have to take the shifter back off and make sure the stub is fitting inside of it's hole in the shift mechanism. It might be easier to take the top cover off so you can see what you're doing.

Back