Putting a 4.0 OHV engine into 2005 Sport Trac Adrenalin... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Putting a 4.0 OHV engine into 2005 Sport Trac Adrenalin...

waltchan

Reaction score
City, State
Long Beach, CA
Really interested in buying a used 2005 Sport Trac Adrenalin 4X4, but I prefer the older 4.0L OHV pushrod than the current 4.0L SOHC. Is it possible to change based on the size of the engine compartment, will it fit, and has anyone done this before with a Sport Trac made in any year, between 2001 and 2005?

Please do not reply saying why I want a slower engine. The older 4.0L OHV pushrod has a better track record for dependability than the current 4.0L SOHC Ford is using right now, according to many sources. Thanks for any replies made.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it would bolt in. The motor mounts would have to be swapped.

However, the computer are completely different and it would have to be rewired to run correctly.

What about the 5-speed auto transmission used in the 4.0 SOHC? Does it fit with the 4.0 OHV? This combo was done before by Ford with the 1997 Aerostar.

I'll start off by saying yes it will fit. The transmission should bolt up except for one hole as I believe the ST still used the 5R55E in that year. I'm thinking you should be able to use a ECM from a 99-00 Explorer that had the OHV from factory as it had PATS and returnless fuel rail. If not you should be able to make the SOHC ECM work since its still a 4.0L engine but will require some custom wiring.

May i Ask why you want to swap motors? Is the 2005 SOHC bad? Los of miles? IMO, that would be a downgrade in performance based solely off HP/TQ ratings

As far as if it will work? Sure, it will work. The tranny will bolt up, but as was mentioned, one tranny bolt will be moved to another location (The two most upper mounting holes, both at 12:00 Position)

The SOHC PCM is capable of running the OHV, HOWEVER, some rewiring will be in order...Off the top of my head, the crank and cam sensors are different in design, but may be the same data type. Would have to research that.

The motor mounts IIRC are the same so it should set on in (if you use a second gen OHV...first gen OHV would have to have the motor mount BRACKETS swapped, but not the mounts on the crossmember)

of course you would have to swap over some of the accesories and lines (power steering comes to mind first) as well as the air intake hose, and little stuff like that. I would shoot for a late model OHV so the engine harness will be able to match up the engine bay harness, with some repinning in order. I would avoid swapping PCM's unless you do one of the following:

1) PATS is picky...if you swap out the PCM, you HAVE to swap over all PATS related hardware, which included the PCM, PATS module behind the dash, the key transeiver, and the keys themselves, which also means all the door lock clyinders.

2) Have PATS turned off by flashing. This means sending the PCM off to be flashed.

If you are dead set on using the OHV, retain the PCM and rewire to make work.

^^This guy knows his wiring and swaps...

Not worth the time an effort to install an engine with 57 less horsepower IMO.

Not worth the time an effort to install an engine with 57 less horsepower IMO.

From the original post of this thread:
Please do not reply saying why I want a slower engine.
So he's basically saying he don't care that its under powered to start with.

I can't help with the swap you're interested in and I know of nobody that has done it. One (or more) of the members here has swapped in the long block from a late mode Mustang and is very happy with it.

Hey i have an 04 Adrenaline and i'm going to swap motors with the same motor thats in it jst a brand new one, i shouldn't really need anything else right? I feel like it should be plug and play since it's the same motor.

Hey i have an 04 Adrenaline and i'm going to swap motors with the same motor thats in it jst a brand new one, i shouldn't really need anything else right? I feel like it should be plug and play since it's the same motor.

It "should" be a direct swap but if its brand new you may have to swap your sensors over.

Glad to hear it's possible. Where's a good, professional place to get it done, assuming I have the 4.0 OHV engine in hand? I live in the Los Angeles, CA area.

Am I better off buying the complete 4.0 OHV engine on eBay (there's several), or buy a complete vehicle and do the swap, and sell the vehicle again?

Motors swapped and running toot sweet. thanks guys

If I was going to swap an engine, Id swap one of the new engines from the f150, I think I read the 6 has two turbo chargers? any thoughts on this?

oh yeah- it'll bolt right in. No clearance issues at all.

Not sure why you would assume I think it would be a bolt in operation without clearance issues but whatever dude

Where are you planning on getting that engine and how much money do you have? The latter is usually the only thing that ever says "no, it can't be done."

Motors swapped and running toot sweet. thanks guys

Good to hear, how are ya likin the underpowered OHV?

Not sure why you would assume I think it would be a bolt in operation without clearance issues but whatever dude

Lol you're not good at picking up sarcasm are ya?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the solution - trade me your 2005 Sport Trac Adrenalin and you can have my 02 ST with the engine you requested.

Back