Putting LED's in the stock foglight wiring / mounts (solved) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Putting LED's in the stock foglight wiring / mounts (solved)

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT V8 Explorer4406
so I ordered up some LED lights to put in place of the stock fog lights which are ling dead and broken off.

I wired them to the stock wires and verified they worked in the stock harness before I mounted them

here's where the problems probably occurred...

I removed the bumper to put on a front hitch for my winch and had to cut off my tow hooks with a torch. there were some electronics on the drivers side which didn't get too hot during the torching (warm to the touch but n melts etc) I know one piece is the temperature sensor, but cant identify the rest.

How do the stock fog lights work? is there a diagram floating about? I think I might have cooked a part, possibly a relay.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

silly me, one of the lights has a short, discovered a blown fuse and unplugged one of the lights and bingo, it works. just have to sort out the one light

Glad you got it sorted out. To answer your original question, the relay for the foggies is in a box under the airbox, near the front.

what LED fog lights did you go with? i'm looking to replace mine as well

Would love to see a pic of them mounted up.

Here's mine
F8FE2341-FD96-4F79-87F3-B80DDD341B7F_zps9qcm3kx9.jpg

and if anyones seen my really old posts under my old account, here's the switch panel in the ashtray

18119236_10100680159496777_3395160262893082892_n.jpg

Back