Putting on a 3 inch body lift. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Putting on a 3 inch body lift.

Did you replace the body mounts as well? I installed the urethane body mounts on my Ex when I installed the lift blocks. The rubber on the old ones were needing to be replaced anyways.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

no i used the same ones. surprisingly they were in pretty good shape

Alright after a day of driving with the lift my check engine light came on. so i pulled the codes and it came up as a bad canp sensor. anyone know where/how to fix this?

you got any pictures of your ex now?

Alright after a day of driving with the lift my check engine light came on. so i pulled the codes and it came up as a bad canp sensor. anyone know where/how to fix this?

Cannister purge,part of the evaporitive emissions. Look for a hose or wires/plug that may have come disconnected.It's the black box in the picture.

100_0870.jpg

sorry been having some trouble getting my hands on a camera. ill try tonight but no promises

I have done a BL on a 2nd gen already, and started a BL on a 1st gen just today.

I found this old thread from way way back and it has some real good info for a 1st gen BL.

http://www.explorer4x4.com/bodylift.html

Im gettin ready to lift the body off mine. Just double checking how many body bolts holding it? 2 rad support, 2 front floor board, 2 behind front seats, and 2 by the hatch. And from what I read but forgot to take out there are two under the rear seats?

Looking forward to your pictures. Also was wondering how the X handles now. Mine needed better sway bars before a lift. I'm considering a lift as well.

Marty

Im gettin ready to lift the body off mine. Just double checking how many body bolts holding it? 2 rad support, 2 front floor board, 2 behind front seats, and 2 by the hatch. And from what I read but forgot to take out there are two under the rear seats?

10 total body mounts. 4 in the rear deck, 4 in the seating area, 2 up front.

There is other things to "Prep" before lifting and the instructions are somewhat fuzzy on what all to do.

Very important things to do ahead of time are:

Soak with PB Blaster or similar product prior to removing body mounts.
Use a long breaker bar to break free then use an impact wrench if possible to finish the removal.
Remove one side completely, and back the other side out to where there are just a few threads left in the mounts before jacking the body up.
Remove the transfer case harness at the case and disconnect.
Disconnect the E-brake cable under the dr door, and run it OVER the body mount and leave loose for now.
Remove the trans cooler lines from the clips under the radiator core support.
Remove the brake line support bracket on the front of the master cylinder.
Remove the ground strap,and all wire harness that dont have slack, on the firewall.
Remove the vac line on the purge canister.
Remove the fan shroud, leave loose and rest on the fan/engine.
Remove the steering shaft coupler (install the extension on the upper shaft if your doing a 3" lift).

Here is a thread to help on the front body mounts.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284834

Thanks for the info.

haha sorry about the wait you guys i was at camp danial boone for the last week. took pictures last night and uploading them today. yeah there are 10 body bolts and i took both my sway bars off before the lift and i have never really felt any pulling or rolling issues. i can say though that right after the lift the initial drive was a little freaky as my weight distribution was raised 3 inches it was scary going around the first turn.

alright you guys here they are.
explorer5.jpg

explorer7.jpg

explorer6.jpg

thanks man, thats with me running 31's and just the 3 inch lift

Back