• Register Today It's free!

Putting stereo in '96 XLT

hmiller

Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 5.0
I'm putting a stereo in my 96 XLT, and was wondering what modifications need to be done to fit a double DIN stereo into the dash. Pioneer shows one in an Explorer on their webpage, but their page also shows that you need an installation kit to do so. Anybody done this before that could provide some pointers for me? Removal of old stereo, where to find a good installation kit, what head unit you used, etc. Thanks for your help, I hope to get some pictures on the web when I finish this project.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used an Alpine CDA-W550... The stock opening is a little smaller than a double DIN. Two 1 DIN units will fit in together and there are kits for this, but a single double DIN unit will require some custom mounting and possibly some cutting of the dash face. I had to cut mine a little, but I can still put my stock radio back in and not notice.
http://www.alpine1.com/html/De_n_148_n_n.html

Thanks for the reply. When you installed the head unit, did you use an installation kit, or did it fit ok into the factory cutout (plastic cutting nonwithstanding). Also, does anybody know what the logistics of putting 6.5" speakers in the doors are? I don't mind cutting, but want to be able to easily restore the truck to factory configuration if necessary. And does anyone have experience with Alpine's V12 series of amps, specifically with the MRV-F407 or the MRV-F303, (4x120 and 4x90, respectively) I'm looking to use one of these with Infinity Reference 5.25" or 6.5" component sets in the front and 5x7's in the rear. Any input would be most appreciated.

Markhas, How much did you pay for your radio? Does anyone else have a double din radio/cass/cd head unit? what were the costs?

------------------
Norman B.
97 Mountaineer 5.0 V8
KKM Tru-Rev
BOSCH PLATINUM +4's
More to Come Before Summer :)

Update:
I installed a Kenwood DPX-600 ($500) last night. To fit into the factory opening, I had to cut and file the top and bottom lip of the stock stereo's opening. The stereo is a bit narrower than the Ford unit, and has metal showing on each side, so I hope to get a custom mounting plate made soon. Altogether, I'm very happy with the unit I selected. Installation was not very difficult, just a bit time consuming. Anyone with any questions, feel free to email harleyg8r@aol.com.
Now on to the speakers!

Speakers: I put 6.5's in the doors, just drilled 'em in and sealed them in with Dynamat-They sound great, and I can pull them out and put the factory ones back in quickly if I need/want to. (like I'll ever get rid of my xplorer)

Hope that helped!

------------------
93 Sport 4X4, 150k Mi, Llumar Metallic Tinted Windows, GTS Taillight Covers, Sony CD and Boston Acoustics Audio

Alpine v12s are the best. you cant get any better in my oppion... i have an MRV-T757, and an MRV-T303. i just replaced an infinity beta amp with the alpine 303. the 303 is running into my 5x7 kappa components. you will be very happy with the alpine

Back