• Register Today It's free!

Quad battery

Scotts96sploder

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer 5.0 rwd
I was thinking of adding a second battery in a compartment where the spare used to be. But then I had a wild idea of running two batteries in parallel front and rear. Single or dual I want to have the secondary isolated for auxiliary use or the run the engine in emergency. This isn’t for music, I will be adding lights, compressor, and an inverter to hopefully run power tools. Obviously o would have to upgrade the alternator and wiring. Has anyone done something similar? I found a post by JD5262727something, it looked like he had oba, and sound.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might look into building a LiFePO4 battery. The prices seem to be getting down to the $500 range, with promise of working with modern alternators. I'm not sure what's available is really suitable yet for a typical 150 amp alternator, but I'm interested.

The LiFePO4 batteries are very light and small compared to lead acid batteries. The high prices and battery management seem to be the current hold up. But some people have built their own for RV use and other motorsports projects. Maybe the individual components might be feasible to do your own, plus you could make them fit the desired space you have in mind. They could go behind the rear trim panels for example.

I have had dual batteries for about a decade in my Explorer. Brian1 has dual batteries in his. I'm sure there are others, but both of ours have the auxiliary battery in the spare tire well in custom boxes. Search the forum, you find what you seek.

Ok thanks! That’s what I was thinking, fab up some kind of tub to hold batteries and air compressors, maybe a large tank opposite of the gas tank. I’ll look around!

So I started looking at what I need to remove to make this tub, and I don’t know what this is! (Pic) I’m probably gonna feel dumb when someone tells me but yeah, what it’s it, can I get rid of it or how do I relocate it?

7CF8264D-642B-4FD3-AF90-F7037606C16D.jpeg

evap control for emissions

So can I just bypass that and get rid of it? All it does if filter gas fumes right? I guess I don’t want a cel so maybe I’ll see if I can relocate it

I found a spot to relocate it, I’ll have to cut the hard lines to make this work. Can I just use regular hose with hose clamps?

image.jpg

D6CCFBCD-BACB-4C09-A44D-7EDAB03FFEC5.jpeg

Well, I just went ahead a did it

A82FEAF1-BA37-490A-92CB-048EE65BDDC1.jpeg

8B27AD26-4A90-4C69-9B79-B1DAB470707F.jpeg

Those hoses look a little crimped. That might have a specific orientation it’s supposed to be in.

They are, I took a pic before I added a bunch of zip ties (too cheap for that fancy wrap) they hold round just fine now. Ribbed for her pleasure! Lol

Anyway now I have room to drop a box roughly 25x14x11ish. Probably make it out of 1/8th and gusset it with some flat bar. Or something like that, I’ll fabricobble something

Zip tie hose stiffeners, and the open space for the tub.

D5E5CE19-D33C-4E27-836E-C1A111573355.jpeg

C06070FD-28C0-4BBE-8D1C-508ABCAF2D27.jpeg

I was planning on doing this where my spare is, since a spare is useless to me.

While you are under there, check the upper shock mounts for cracks in the cross member. Mine cracked nearly all the way through over a weekend. Here is a picture of my battery box. The large plate is covering a air compressor and tank. Its hinged on one side so I can fold it down for servicing. The battery box has been modified a little since this picture. It now has some heavy metal screening material covering the bottom and side openings. The box's side is removable while the box is in place, so I can slide a battery into the box while its mounted.

IMG_20150720_114209846.jpg

I love the zipties :dunno:

While you are under there, check the upper shock mounts for cracks in the cross member. Mine cracked nearly all the way through over a weekend. Here is a picture of my battery box. The large plate is covering a air compressor and tank. Its hinged on one side so I can fold it down for servicing. The battery box has been modified a little since this picture. It now has some heavy metal screening material covering the bottom and side openings. The box's side is removable while the box is in place, so I can slide a battery into the box while its mounted.

View attachment 169355
Thanks for the tip! I was planning on getting under there today with a wire wheel and paint.
I didn’t think of coming from underneath, that’s cool. I was wanting to make a tub with a lid that I’ll weld into a hole cut in the cargo area. That way I don’t have to get it the dirt to get to it.

I wouldn’t go through the effort to cut it into the floor, that seems wildly excessive. If you do everything right, you shouldn’t have to service them more than every year or two.

Plus you’re not hosing the integrity of the cab.

I saw a thread here years ago where someone used an oblong metal feed or water tub. They cut the floor, dropped the tub in and sealed it up. I would not cut out that much of the floor. Its a major part of the structure of the body.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’d also consider an industrial battery. Something long and thin like a forklift battery as opposed to multiple batteries. I bet they make an AGM battery that is very high in AH and can be turned in its side.

Back