• Register Today It's free!

quality radiators

blakshukvw

Reaction score
City, State
K.C. mo
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT 5.0
Can anyone suggest a decent brand rediator for a 5.0. I don't want to buy a cheapo just to have to replace it again sooner than later.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've had a few from Radiator Barn, no issues. One was a Spectra Premium. I just ordered another one of the Spectra Premium radiators for my newest Ex yesterday from Rock Auto.

The Spectra Premium rad is made in Canada.

CLICK ME

THIS is a list of the Spectra parts for your truck, handy list for everything from fuel filler necks to radiators. :)

Thanks Joe. The Spectra is the cheapest at Rock Auto too. I'm always leary of buying the cheapest priced stuff cause usually you get what you pay for. Made in Canada is close enough to made in America to me though.

** Second cheapest... :D

You know where it's cheaper? Lay it on me dude.

I'm also looking at used one's from the local PnP. Are there any radiators from other ford trucks that will fit my x? Excursion or expedition maybe? What other year x's can I look to find a radiator that will work with my 5.0?

Since they have a plastic tank I'd personally stay away from a salvage yard or pick-n-pull radiator. I also highly recomend replacing the water pump while you are at it.

I am skeptical about the PnP used one's too but at $30 may be worth a try. Money is tight right now so just doing the radiator for now. No need to jump into the pump as of now since it cools great and doesn't leak.

I can understand the money thing, but coolant isn't cheap either. I'd stress out the other $70 somehow and just put a new one on, especially going into winter. If you blow out then, you're looking at a new rad, plus replacing the coolant.

Not cheaper- there was a cheaper one on Rock.

Yikes, much cheaper at rockauto.

I'm one of the "fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice, shame on me" type of guys, and after a recent issue with a cheapy ebay radiator for my wifes old Grand CHerokee, I've decided that if I need to replace another one, I'm just going to go OEM on it even though it costs like 2-3x as much.
On her Jeep, it wasn't just that changing the radiator was a gigantic pain, which it was, but each time I replaced it I had to blow about $20-30 on some of the Jeep body bolts to hold the bumper trim in place (and don't pretend Ford doesn't equally screw us on some of their "one of a kind, one use only" type of parts), but I spent about $100 on a radiator and it worked fine, for about two months, then started leaking worse than the original did. I ended up replacing it with an OEM one because I didn't want ot have to change it out again.

I know that WWW.RadiatorBarn.Com, and WWW.AutoCoolRadiators.Com might be similar in price, but I have first hand experience with Auto Cool Radiators. They are a good company to work with. I purchased one radiator from them, and called to say that I wanted to get another one. The guy offered to give me a discount on the second one. It has a lifetime warranty with free shipping, and no tax since it was out of state so you can't go wrong.

^ I did also have good luck on Snowball's radiator from the radiator barn. ^

I just went with the Spectra from Rock as it appears to be the same unit as RB, and less expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if the Spectra isn't the new OEM replacement. Lots of their parts are bought by OEM's now, including the filler tube that I stuck into the Ex a few months back. Ford stickers, Spectra stamp on it. Go figure...

What brand did you receive when you ordered from autocool?

I was bored... :)

Reach Cooling info:

CLICK ME

Has anyone else had to put teflon tape on the threads for the transmission cooler lines? I had to do this with a Napa radiator, which has also leaked constantly since it was first put in, right where the overflow hose connects to the rad. I'm guessing there is a small crack there. I have a replacement Napa one that I am going to put in today, hopefully this one goes better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back