Querying 1991 Explorer electronics | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Querying 1991 Explorer electronics

Guswah

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer Eddie Bauer
My 1991 Explorer so far has no electrical issues, but for the longest time there has been a crackling sound coming from under the dash on the passenger's side. I don't know if it's related to the Explorer's electronics, and maybe somebody here has some idea.

Last week the windshield cleaner pump quit. I pulled out a corroded six-amp circuit breaker. That little device is for both wipers and the washer pump, at least according to a 1994 manual that I found at an auto wrecker. I'm now trying to find a replacement for the breaker (D9ZB-14526-AA). The panel for those fuses and circuit breakers is under the steering wheel -- quite a ways away from the crackling noise.

I'm just curious if other Explorer owners have had similar problems or observations with theirs and might make suggestions about these issues.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Primarily the HVAC system boxes / doors / heater core / vacuum motor / etc is located under the dash on the passenger side - any recent issues with that system or correlations between the use mode / cold / hot / fan speeds that causes the noises?

I think the crackling sound is prevalent when the weather's cold and the Explorer hasn't yet warmed up. Make any sense to you?

Well, I read your first post and thought... oh no, he computer is in the passenger side kick-panel, but if it's temperature dependant, I would clean out the airbox. May be some leaves or stuff. Check this out... the pictures are gone, but you will get the idea.

How to: Prevent a Fire Hazard!

Today I realized that the "crackling" sound is more like a "trickling" sound, even though there are no fluids leaking anywhere. I've already mentioned that the sound prevails on a cold engine. But I noticed today that it's more prevalent when the heater fan is on high. Turn the fan speed down, and it goes away. So I'd be more than happy if someone has a plausible explanation.

Might be the bearing in your fan motor making the noise . Is your water system full as it might be water going through the heater coil ??? Just trying to give you some ideas to think on .

Really appreciate that since I'm absolutely not a mechanic. The water system is topped up, yes. The fan motor bearing would be logical since the noise is kind of on-again, off-again, and it's prevalent only when the coolant is cold. Hmmm. Thanks again, and I'll investigate that.

when the coolant is cold it means the blower motor has not been running long . after it runs awhile it might get quiet . keep us informed .

Yeah, and I'm wondering whether -- since I'll have it apart anyway -- I shouldn't just change it while I'm in there. After all, it's 27 years old. And if so, would this be a jobber part or something I'd need to suss out from Ford?

It might be water "swishing" in the heater core. Some Fords have flow restrictions in the inlet
line to help prevent the sound....

Back