• Register Today It's free!

Quesion on 5.0 intake manifold.

kitra

Reaction score
City, State
Beaverton, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Montaineer
I broke 2 of the front bolts that secure the lower intake manifold to the heads. They were seized with corrosion. The Dealer said it's very common. Anyway, I noticed the lower intake manifold, all 8 ports are black with likely the goo from the PCV recirculation system, EXCEPT for the very back port (cylinder number 8). Cylinder number 8's port is absolutely clean. Little to no residue. We've never noticed any missing or symptoms of a dead cylinder. Has anyone seen this? Is it also "normal" for this engine? Anyway, currently the heads are off getting reworked at a machine shop. The vehicle only has 77K miles (1999) but since the heads are off for the broken bolts, I'm having them rebuilt.

BTW, the local Ford Dealer had no idea why the rear port in the intake manifold is clean. The Service Manager said to inspect the intake manifold for cracks. I'll do that soon. What a project doing all this work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Except the fuel injector is below the port in the manifold. So I'm quite baffled.

getting the GT-40 intake out of the 5.0L explorer is fun isnt it! LOL geesh could they pack it in there a bit more? make the bolts a little longer?

first hte coil pack and throttle bracket, then the elbow, and be sure to put the bolts inteh elbow before re-installing because the heater box is in the way, then the same goes for the rear intake bolt (long one) has to be in place before you can bolt it down or you'll never get it in there, lol at LEAST we got a V8 finally!!

Having one cylinder port 100% clean is odd......what does the #8 plug look like?
the raw fuel may have been pushed upwards by the piston when the engine was running? I dunno?

The number 8 spark plug is "white tipped", like it's running very lean. Too bad I didn't take a compression test before the heads came off. But it never felt like it missed. I've had V8's running on "7 cylinders" before and it was obvious.

I ordered all new intake manifold bolts and new head bolts as I was told the head bolts are TTY type and only good for a single use. I don't remember which studs for the intake manifold go where but hopefully I can figure it out. Should have taken more pictures. Those front 2 studs where literally frozen in place. No biggie for a machine shop, however. Just sucks how a "simple" intake manifold gasket replacement turned into a major project. There would have been no way to get those front studs out without breaking them. Hey, whatdo you suggest for sealer on the intake manifold gasket. Ours has leaked slowly (coolant) along the front for years. I used to use Permatex Super 300 but permatex claims is for gasketless installations.

I ordered all new intake manifold bolts and new head bolts as I was told the head bolts are TTY type and only good for a single use. I don't remember which studs for the intake manifold go where but hopefully I can figure it out. Should have taken more pictures. Those front 2 studs where literally frozen in place. No biggie for a machine shop, however. Just sucks how a "simple" intake manifold gasket replacement turned into a major project. There would have been no way to get those front studs out without breaking them. Hey, whatdo you suggest for sealer on the intake manifold gasket. Ours has leaked slowly (coolant) along the front for years. I used to use Permatex Super 300 but permatex claims is for gasketless installations.

Permatex ultra black-DO NOT USE REGULAR BLACK RTV!!!

Dead Link Removed

DisplayImage.asp

Be sure to run a heavy bead --3/8" at least, at the front and rear. Throw away the cork end gaskets if they still come in the gasket kit

Back