• Register Today It's free!

question about 4.6 V8 heads.

eddie21

Reaction score
City, State
boston, ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003explorer
Hello, new here. I have a 2003 explorer eddie bauer with the 4.6 V8. My ? is I have heard about problems with these motors having few threads in the spark plug hole, and when changing the plugs they may blow out.

Does this pertain to the 2003 explorers? Any tips on changing the plugs?

Also does the fuel rail have to be removed to get the coils of the plugs? Thanks in advance.

Plug replacement is a simple job (and should be done around the 50k mark IMO).
just remove the intake tube and beauty cover and you shouldn't have any issues removing the coils to get at the plugs. There is a 8mm bolt holding each coil in place. I you don't mind an bit of extra work every 12,000 miles install CHEAP Copper plugs gapped .060 (autolite 764's ) and they will never get stuck and strip the threads. I just removed the factory Platnium plugs from mine with 60k on them and they had quite a bit of wear already and the planium was just about gone, whould have never made 100k like ford says they should (though they did come out easy). My Mark VIII had the factory plugs in it at 127k and they were a MAJOR pain in the butt to get loose. I sprayed liberal amounts of JB-80 and let them soak overnight and crossed my fingers as a pulled on a 3/8" T-handle VERY hard to get them out but they DID come out with no thread damage.

Really nothing much to worry about as long as you do it correctly. Just keep in mind that it's aluminum head, so be sure you don't cross thread when you initially put in the plug and don't overtighten it. You don't have room for error with this one.

Back