• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Question about 6R80 transmission pans between years

94Eddie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mountaineer Premier
I want to have a drain plug in the pan of my 6R80 transmission since I drain the fluid about every 30k-40k miles. I don't feel the need to change the filter at every drain and plan to do it about every 80k-100k miles. The drain would make intermediate changes so much easier. I found a Dorman pan (link below) for the 2011 6R80 in various vehicles with one being the F150 that has a drain plug for a very reasonable price. I would like to know if there is any difference between the 6R80 in the 2010 Explorers/Mountaineers and the one in the 2011 F150. Does anyone know the answer to this question?

Dorman Products - 265-854

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

94Eddie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mountaineer Premier
I have seen those type of plugs but the welded ones give me a better feeling of reliability. If I can't find that the Dorman pan works then I will use the stock pan and have a shop weld a drain plug to it. The Dorman pan looks to be about what I would end up with going this route without the hassles of going to a welding shop. Either way it will be a lot less expensive than the deep cast oil pans that are available.

transman304

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Morgantown WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser
That Dorman pan will work for your application. Don’t over torque bolts. 106 inch pounds (12Nm)
Brad

94Eddie

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mountaineer Premier
That Dorman pan will work for your application. Don’t over torque bolts. 106 inch pounds (12Nm)
Brad
Thanks! Is this pan compatible with the OEM filter spec'ed for the 2010 Explorer/Mountaineer V8s?