Question about a spool...

JTX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt
I did a search and couldnt really find much. My question is, will a mini spool fit in a limited slip carrier? I saw one site that had mini spools but it said for open carrier only. But on another site it didnt say much at all. I just dont wanna buy the wrong spool.

TIA
JTX

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mini spools are nice and cheap.

Is the L/S carrier different from the open carrier besides the obvious, Spidergears vrs clutchplates?

I would imagin that they are the same. I thought you could by factory posi for your open carrier?

if not you can an open carrier get one out of a junkyard.

I know a lunchbox locker for an open carrier doesn't fit an ls carrier; I expect it's the same for a mini-spool.

A mini spool will only work with an open carrier.

Thanks James, Ill just get a full spool.

let me know where you find a full spool.

Why spool when you can lincoln lock? The reason many buy a spool is either inability to weld or weight for a race car.

I can weld fine. But wont welding it screw you if you ever try to take it out?

Yeah, a spool will allow you to change your mind later

FS88-31 Ford 8.8" 31 spline (steel) (c-clip elim required) $150

that ultralight scares me, "save the weight of five ring gear bolts"????
not for offroad abuse I would say

now to find a c-clip eliminator
done but not cheap, bottom right side of page: http://www.quickperformance.com/Axles.html

F that dude, ill just save up and buy a real locker or wait and put a 9 inch in.

Definitely not worth it in the long run IMO. If you don't want/know how to setup gears, it'll run you over $500 in the end for a full spool. Your sig says welded, what's up with that?

Yeah i need to fix that, the front has 4.56 and was welded but it came loose. back is 3.73 and stock. lol

Yikes, lol. So, you haven't used the 4wd in a while I guess?

I use it still, Just in sand and ****. its fine as long as theres slippage.

So you've run with 2 very different ratios? I thought that was mucho bad no matter what terrain you were on.

I even hit the button by mistake on the road before. It started going crazy but nothing broke. I havent really used it much. But the few times i have there has been no problems.

Back