• Register Today It's free!

Question about ALL WHEEL DRIVE??.

TMack2300

Reaction score
City, State
Livonia, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
If I want to drive in AWD all the time is that possible?
This whole selector switch mode is kinda dumb to me...
Mud snow, gravel? And whatever else it has...
It's not as simple as my other Ford trucks have been.. U had a simple 2 wheel high, AWD, or 4 wheel high and low
With the selector switch in I guess u would call it no mode or front wheel drive this thing stinks to drive. To much steering torque.
If I want AWD all the time, is that even posable? On dry pavement?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AWD is always on, those traction options are for driving through snow, sand or gravel extensively.
Changing the traction setting for one of those changes the cars traction/gear/shift combo so the car grips more in those conditions.
Also helps minimize slipping while gaining speed or going to the next gear.

although i would like to have more control over the power control to the wheels, the explorers system is much more advanced then just selecing 4h/4l.

Racing?

When I punch the explorer u have the screen that shows what wheels are getting the power.. It's all front wheel... I hate that. It drives like crap.
I put it in snow mode on dry pavement and all 4 wheels hooked up and it drive straight...
I want that all the time??

When I punch the explorer u have the screen that shows what wheels are getting the power.. It's all front wheel... I hate that. It drives like crap.
I put it in snow mode on dry pavement and all 4 wheels hooked up and it drive straight...

So drive in snow mode all the time. If it was full-time AWD your gas mileage would suffer quite a bit.

So drive in snow mode all the time. If it was full-time AWD your gas mileage would suffer quite a bit.

Guess that's my question, can I drive it in a mode setting without damaging the drivetrain?
Not like this thing gets good gas mileage anyway... I'm stuck at 16 mpg most of the time anyway.

Guess that's my question, can I drive it in a mode setting without damaging the drivetrain?
Not like this thing gets good gas mileage anyway... I'm stuck at 16 mpg most of the time anyway.

..may want to stock up on oil & tranny fluid...sounds like that would keep things hot all the time...

I used to hate FWD, but now that I've driven this Explorer for 3 + years, I have realized that FWD probably saved me a few times. A 4WD bias is just completely useless. You're using more gas just to turn a few extra parts for traction. However, you're on pavement so why even need the extra traction at all?
I know the torque steer might be annoying, I have a 2011 and I only experienced it once and that was because I wasn't used to it. Now the torque steer feels like nothing to me, the steering wheel is hardly pulled at all and I like the little feedback it gives. Trust me, give it some time. The Explorer would provide power to the rear when it is needed. You can see it kick in in this video:

When I punch the explorer u have the screen that shows what wheels are getting the power.. It's all front wheel... I hate that. It drives like crap. I put it in snow mode on dry pavement and all 4 wheels hooked up and it drive straight... I want that all the time??
Sorry, it doesn't work that way. Power is transferred to the rear based on acceleration, wheel slip, and other factors when the computer determines need. Normally, it is FWD biased. Regardless of mode, you won't get full time AWD. The modes control shift patterns and traction control via the anti-lock brake system. http://www.motorshow.me/GalleryDocs/Doc4340.pdf

..may want to stock up on oil & tranny fluid...sounds like that would keep things hot all the time...

you said it sounds like... i would like to know for sure.

also doesnt the XSport have a trans oil cooler??

WOW I can not believe this

I drove my XSport to work yesterday, 20 miles one way in no mode, cruise control set at 43 mph and barley got 20 mpg. that was driving like a old lady..

today i drove to work same way... cruise control set at 43 mph but in snow wet mode and i couldnt believe my eyes???? 24.9 MPG????
the MPG went up almost 5 miles per gallon???

Now im really confused??? anyone else ever try this???
if not try it and let me know if im freaking nuts???!!!!

That doesn't sound right to me. I pulled up the same display once and 'punched' it and the rears showed 3 bars and the fronts showed 1. That indicated that most of the instantaneous power went to the rear wheels.
As for driving constantly in 'Snow' mode to get the AWD configuration you're looking for, I doubt that would be advisable. The Explorer was designed to be front wheel biased for most every day driving.
I drove Toyota Highlanders for almost 10 years and they were 4WD full time with power distributed 50/50 front and rear. I can honestly say that after getting the Explorer, I never really noticed any difference.

Peter

There are people that drive in 'Sand' mode all the time for the more aggressive shift patterns, and reduction in traction control. Again, not sure why under normal conditions.

That doesn't sound right to me. I pulled up the same display once and 'punched' it and the rears showed 3 bars and the fronts showed 1. That indicated that most of the instantaneous power went to the rear wheels.
As for driving constantly in 'Snow' mode to get the AWD configuration you're looking for, I doubt that would be advisable. The Explorer was designed to be front wheel biased for most every day driving.
I drove Toyota Highlanders for almost 10 years and they were 4WD full time with power distributed 50/50 front and rear. I can honestly say that after getting the Explorer, I never really noticed any difference.

Peter

You think i expected the jump in MPG myself??? NO I DID NOT.
but Peter, thats exactly what happened... I never seen the MPG get above 21 in no mode... snow mode i seen 24.9 im going to post the pics here in a minute.
I want someone else to try this and to confirm what im seeing...
I did notice the difference in snow mode the way it drove.. It drove and felt like a true AWD should.... I know its FWD biased... i want to change that... I hate FWD steering torque...

There are people that drive in 'Sand' mode all the time for the more aggressive shift patterns, and reduction in traction control. Again, not sure why under normal conditions.

maybe to put all this HP and torque to good use??
i understand why they would want to. I just want to make sure if i drive in normal conditions in any mode besides normal if this is going to cause any damage.

There was NO steering torque when gas peddle is floored in snow mode... It felt great..

I drove my XSport to work yesterday, 20 miles one way in no mode, cruise control set at 43 mph and barley got 20 mpg. that was driving like a old lady..

today i drove to work same way... cruise control set at 43 mph but in snow wet mode and i couldnt believe my eyes???? 24.9 MPG????
the MPG went up almost 5 miles per gallon???

Now im really confused??? anyone else ever try this???
if not try it and let me know if im freaking nuts???!!!!

That's really interesting. Could make me change to snow mode all the time if I got those results, but I also would be concerned about how it affects the vehicle.

That's really interesting. Could make me change to snow mode all the time if I got those results, but I also would be concerned about how it affects the vehicle.

snow is the only one i tried so far, tmg19103, and i have the same concerns as you.. trying to get those concerns addressed..

Ive NEVER seen this MPG number go this high in no mode....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the 24.9 went away quick after i punched the throttle!!!!! but this was my 30 minute average still was over 21 MPG

Back