Question about Blend Door Actuator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about Blend Door Actuator

steveatthebeach

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia Beach, Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
Callsign
K4IQX
So I'm looking at blend door actuator's because I in the same boat as others with a failed cheap POS part (think metal gears here). I start my search and find parts available at both Advance and Autozone, not much price difference in between the 2. On AutoZone's website, they are showing several different ones, or to be more specific, "Auxiliary. Air distribution mode. Cross Shaped Shaft" & "Main. Temperature. Manual Temperature Control". Being a person that doesn't want to assume anything, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the first one, Auxiliary is for the back and the Main is for the front. Since the whole repair process is one of those things you don't want to do twice because you hosed it up the first time, I believe the Main is the one I need (it's the front blend door that's got a case of I sh_t the bed).

Can anyone confirm this?

Bueller?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're going to want to take the part out or open the dash up enough to see it, then compare it to the new parts. Something I'd do in person, if you can't refer to the dealer website for your VIN

Steveatthebeach,

You may have seen BigRondo's post here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...ont-blend-door-actuator-in-3rd-gen-ex.294140/

About the first thing he says in the post is:

"I purchased the Blend Door Actuator from my Ford Dealer. Cost was $70.00.

I recommend purchasing it at the dealer as others have had problems with the ones purchased at auto parts stores.

VIN is required to ensure you get the proper part."

This is especially true for the 2002 model year. Ford revised some of the electrical components midyear - now referred to as early build and late build. You really want to get the actuator from a Ford dealer where they can run the VIN. The cost difference with aftermarket or reseller is insignificant compared to the amount of work it will take to replace the part. Not a real hard job, just tedious. Good luck.

Steveatthebeach,

You may have seen BigRondo's post here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...ont-blend-door-actuator-in-3rd-gen-ex.294140/

About the first thing he says in the post is:

"I purchased the Blend Door Actuator from my Ford Dealer. Cost was $70.00.

I recommend purchasing it at the dealer as others have had problems with the ones purchased at auto parts stores.

VIN is required to ensure you get the proper part."

This is especially true for the 2002 model year. Ford revised some of the electrical components midyear - now referred to as early build and late build. You really want to get the actuator from a Ford dealer where they can run the VIN. The cost difference with aftermarket or reseller is insignificant compared to the amount of work it will take to replace the part. Not a real hard job, just tedious. Good luck.

Thanks rrgone. I saw that, but I'm trying to save some bucks here, grown kids that don't live with you anymore can cost big bucks these days.

You're going to want to take the part out or open the dash up enough to see it, then compare it to the new parts. Something I'd do in person, if you can't refer to the dealer website for your VIN

I went to the Ford website, put m VIN in and it came up with several options (shaking my head). So yes, I'm going to have to do a real ID on the part prior to purchasing a new one. Wasn't really looking forward to that. Today would have been a great day to do the work too, it was in the teens on Monday, today it's almost 70 out there with a clear blue sky. Tomorrow the temps drop again.

Back