Question about capless fuel system | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about capless fuel system

Jack Bauer24

Reaction score
City, State
ATL, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Just thinking about rising gas prices got me to thinking about something. How does this capless system prevent someone from siphoning gas from your car? Is there a theft prevention system I haven't heard of? Thanks!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford has a locking fuel plug as an accessory.

All newer vehicles have an anti-syphon feature built into the filler neck. Try sticking a tube down the filler neck, it won't go any more than 6 inches or so before hitting a block. If someone really wants your gas, the easiest way is to drill a hole in the bottom of your tank.

All newer vehicles have an anti-syphon feature built into the filler neck. Try sticking a tube down the filler neck, it won't go any more than 6 inches or so before hitting a block. If someone really wants your gas, the easiest way is to drill a hole in the bottom of your tank.

Yea, even my moms Escape had that, I think it was an 07 or 08. She filled it up before turning the lease in (By mistake) and they said that she could bring it back on E and it wouldnt make a difference, so we tried everything to siphon the gas out, but couldnt get the hose more than 5-6" down the neck:rolleyes:

The only thing to be worried about is punks coming and pouring stuff in your tank. (Its happened quite a few times to people around here:() (Not me though thankfully)

The only thing to be worried about is punks coming and pouring stuff in your tank. (Its happened quite a few times to people around here:() (Not me though thankfully)

Why would they do that? Such a stupid, pointless crime to commit. I thought even thugs have more respect for cars than that.

Wouldn't the capless head prevent anything from going in that's not a standard gas station handle?

Theres a lot of ...lowlifes... around here. My neighbor was my best friend, and his cousin didnt like his GF at the time; so one night when they were all next door, the cousin came and poured sugar in the GF's gas tank.

I dont care how bad I hated someone or anything, I would never resort to doing something so low.

Yea, as stated here, the pros and semi pros just go around with a cordless drill or a sawzall and cut the fuel lines or drill holes in the tanks.

There was a story on the news about this not long ago. They love to target the rental truck places because they have trucks with huge gas tanks in them, easy to access, usually are full, and are usually parked in areas that aren't being watched or even if they are, they are parked so close you can't tell.

the capless system still has a 'plunger' that needs to be opened with the gas pump nozzle or the funnel that comes with the car, there isnt just an open tube for sugar or other things to be poured in. it seems just as 'safe' as any other non-locking fuel filler. Yes, ford does offer a locking cap if you are concerned.

Theres a lot of ...lowlifes... around here. My neighbor was my best friend, and his cousin didnt like his GF at the time; so one night when they were all next door, the cousin came and poured sugar in the GF's gas tank.

I dont care how bad I hated someone or anything, I would never resort to doing something so low.

That is what we have dogs and shotguns for, here outwest.

Jack

Just thinking about rising gas prices got me to thinking about something. How does this capless system prevent someone from siphoning gas from your car? Is there a theft prevention system I haven't heard of? Thanks!!!

the same way you cant siphon gas from a car that has a cap. try it, any vehicle 1990 or later ford you cant siphon gas if you take the cap off.

I bought the cap i used because my kind live in a not so good area and when i go to the bronx i have to becareful i was on the job!!

I bought the cap i used because my kind live in a not so good area and when i go to the bronx i have to becareful i was on the job!!

This is the only reason I dont like our pba plates....

Back