• Register Today It's free!

Question about cd changer

bnichols04

Reaction score
City, State
ypsilanti, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 ranger XLT
I currently have a in dash cd player and I am getting tired of haveing millions of cd's up in the visor. I have an awia in dash cd player and I want to put in a cd changer. Would this be recommended or should I do someting else?????? Also I only have one rca out in the back of my raido :fire: but I am running 2 amps with a Y-cable. What should I do?? Should I get the changer or what???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Changers are SO COOL.
Nothing like stuffing six CD's in the changer and doing a road trip.
Click it on random shuffle. It will mix up all the discs. Play one from this CD
and then one from another.
No more swerving all over the road trying to switch discs. :)

You could get a cd changer, not sure if Aiwa makes them or not. If not you could get an FM modultated one.

If you are already considering a new HU then it might make sense to get an MP3 HU, that way you can put 6-7 full CDs at good quality onto one disk.

can I get a changer that will play through a raido station while using an aftermarket headunit? How would it be wired up??

Yes they have CD changers that you just tune into a radio station.
I am not sure how they wire up but I imagine they are cake.

Wouldn't he need a free RCA port?

Nope.
My buddy has this set up.
The changer is independant. It has a small weak transmitter.
You tune your radio to said frequency, and operate the changer with a remo.

Kinda cool if ya think about it.

does anyone have a pic of where they mounted their cd changer. if no pic then ideas of where to put it??? I have no clue where to put it. Also how would you wire the changer?? Do you have to run a power wire like an amp??

I used to have a CD changer, it was put in by the previous owner. The changer was in the cargo area near the wheel hump. There was the changer unit, a control unit (about 6"x6"x 1") that was hidden and a little controller.

The power wire was spliced into another wire (can't remember which, took it out 3 years ago) so it is low current draw.

You could try to fit it into the center glove box or in the little pocket in the cargo area.

i don't know what the interior of your X looks like, but here's where I put my Eclipse 8 disc:

post-243-1083016789.jpg

can I get a cd changer that had a mini disc in it????? :afro:

Never heard of a changer for mini disc, never really understood why anyone uses mini discs at all.

yes they have mini disc changers. Honestly i used to have the factory ford 6 disc changer until the laser eye got dislodged twice!. I finally got fed up and bought an MP3 HU so much better and they are cheap now, you can get them for around 100 bucks

Mine also in in the center console.
You can see I made a slot for a second magazine.

Attachments

• cdchanger.jpg
    cdchanger.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 240

I have mine under the driver seat with the remote sitting in the center console, and the control unit in the dash under the stereo. The two that I have installed were pretty easy. It was a while ago, but I think there were 3 wires on the control unit, red constant power, yellow acc power, and black ground. Then there was a place to plug the remote, and changer into the control module. The part that I had different than MONMIX's friend was that there was another cable that went inline with the antenna, it pluged into the stereo, and your car antenna plugged into it. Basically a T connection that went to the control module so you could listen to it through an FM station.

I have an mp3 player now too, and I have to say that I like it much better, mainly because it's faster switching between songs since it doesn't have to physically change CDs. Just my .02.

How would you get power to the changer??? Long wire up to the battery??

Thats how I did it for the constant power.

does it use that much current?? Could I just put an "add a fuse" in the fuse block under the dash and run a small remote wire to power it???

MONMIX said:
Mine also in in the center console.
You can see I made a slot for a second magazine.

Nice!! I have the same changer plugged into my OEM system. It's a great changer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

[QUOTE='96explorereddiebauer]Nice!! I have the same changer plugged into my OEM system. It's a great changer.[/QUOTE]
I LOVE the full random shuffle feature.
Six CD, and mix them all up.
Perfect for those trips down to Raleigh.
It gets crazy cause I listen to such a variety, from Shania Twain to Metallica.
Mixing that up in a CD changer can make for some crazy transitions.

Back