Question about front seats | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about front seats

Hoosiercanuck

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Police Utility
I was going to replace the front two seats in my 2015 PIU. I found some black leather seats out of a regular 2013 explorer. Would those work?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes. Plugs are the same also. You might have to add some pins for power to power the seats...

Driver's side is a direct plug in.. passenger you need to add a power wire .. I used one from one of the 12v sources in the center console area before I mounted my console

I got my new seats. Driver side went in perfectly. Having some trouble with the passenger side. My PIU has the wiring harness but in the engine compartment there is no fuse or location for the passenger seats.

I’ve looked at the harness and there is a large black/yellow wire going into it? Is that the power?

Any help on getting the power functions going would be appreciated.

There is no designated power for the passenger seat in a piu.. it's not part of the harness.. you can either tap the powwr wire from the driver's seat. Or use one of the main power wires under your dash /center console area. Which is what I used for mine. There is a 6 pin connector 3 power and 3 grounds.. I pulled one of the power from that plug to use for the passenger seat

It would be the thick purple with red stripe.

If you want the heated part of the seats to work it's the yellow with blue stripe on both seats... 2 switches. Easy

I just finished putting in my front seats from a '12 Limited. Everything went good but for some reason the driver's side seat set off my air bag light on the dash. Any one else have this happen?

Hello,

New to the Forum and haven’t yet found any specific info on this.

I’m looking to replace the front seats in my 2014 PIU 3.5 Eco. I currently have the standard cloth seats that i understand come in all of them? Could I swap them with leather? Would they utilize the existing rails? Any help on this would be awesome!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one on the same topic. I also found another using the Forum's 'Search' feature (upper right) that you may be interested in; Flex seats fit in Explorer

Peter

Hello,

New to the Forum and haven’t yet found any specific info on this.

I’m looking to replace the front seats in my 2014 PIU 3.5 Eco. I currently have the standard cloth seats that i understand come in all of them? Could I swap them with leather? Would they utilize the existing rails? Any help on this would be awesome!
Yes it's a simple bolt in swap. Try to find '13 and up seats. The '11/'12 seats belts are differnt and you'll run into some wiring and sensor issues...

I was going to replace the front two seats in my 2015 PIU. I found some black leather seats out of a regular 2013 explorer. Would those work?

So, old thread and all, but you could have all your seats simply reupholstered with katzkin. They can add heating and cooling too. I'm looking at doing so for mine, probably around 2-2.5k for all 3 rows, which I think is hella reasonable.

So, old thread and all, but you could have all your seats simply reupholstered with katzkin. They can add heating and cooling too. I'm looking at doing so for mine, probably around 2-2.5k for all 3 rows, which I think is hella reasonable.

$2-2.5k USD? that's ridiculous!
I paid $800 for all of mine out of a yard and they were installed within 4 hrs.

$2-2.5k USD? that's ridiculous!
I paid $800 for all of mine out of a yard and they were installed within 4 hrs.

For a full leather upholstery of all 3 rows? Plus heat + cool? I'd say that's pretty good.

We're not talking about OEM leather seats, but premium grade lol.

Soon as its fiscally possible I'm doing it. Way better than vinyl or cloth.

For a full leather upholstery of all 3 rows? Plus heat + cool? I'd say that's pretty good.

We're not talking about OEM leather seats, but premium grade lol.

Soon as its fiscally possible I'm doing it. Way better than vinyl or cloth.
Some people either don't get it or don't care about the details. Wait until you see the quality of most 4-6 yr old Ford leather seats from the yard. Most are not all that pretty unless they were relatively new and very low miles.

Katzkins and other covers can be had for less than 2-2.5k also. Premium full grain leather is nice, but probably not the best way to spend money on an explorer or piu.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some people either don't get it or don't care about the details. Wait until you see the quality of most 4-6 yr old Ford leather seats from the yard. Most are not all that pretty unless they were relatively new and very low miles.

Katzkins and other covers can be had for less than 2-2.5k also. Premium full grain leather is nice, but probably not the best way to spend money on an explorer or piu.

Less than that eh? Interesting. That quote was with tax and heated and cooled seats, apparently. I haven't gotten an accurate one as it's just in my near future to do so.

OEM leather is such a waste and a rip off, imo.

Back