question about headlamps on 2011 EX | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

question about headlamps on 2011 EX

russell bruesch

Reaction score
City, State
new buffalo michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 limited explorer
The manual; shows a single filament bulb 2005-Hb3 for the headlamp. A 2005 bulb is catagorized as a high beam bulb correct? How does this bulb give off low beam lighting? When activating the low beams it sounds like some motorized shield comes down to cutoff the upper part of the lamp to direct the light down,is this correct?

This seems like an unconventional system where as most headlight systems use either seperate bulbs for high/low beams or dual filament lamps. Are the stock halogen lenses reflector or projecter? They look like projector lenses to me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

first off the bulb is 9005. they're projector housings. and yes, there is a shield in there that, from MY understanding, drops and creates the "high beam", not dropping and creating the "low beam"

Yes i am sorry i meant 9005 bulbs not 2005. If thought that projector housings were used with HID lamps and reflective housings for halogen lamps. Does the factory upgrade HID lamps use the same projector housing that is used on my 9005 halogen lamps? I assumed the lens housing is designed differently when the HID lamps are used?

If not then switching between HID and halogen lamps should have no effect on the beam pattern right?

a lot of newer vehicles use projector housings even though it's halogen bulbs. i THINK the housings are the same but i don't think anyone's actually took them apart and confirmed that. i assume vehicle manufacturers use the same housings for cost savings since HIDs are normally an option/upgrade. it's a lot easier to add HIDs to the existing housing, then to change it all together...... one vehicle that comes to mind that does have two different housings, is the mustang....the halogen is the traditional reflective housing while the HID option gives it a projector housing.

and the differences between the cut off on the halogen projector and hid projector shouldn't differ MUCH. i still think the hid cut off may be sharper and crisper.

a lot of newer vehicles use projector housings even though it's halogen bulbs. i THINK the housings are the same but i don't think anyone's actually took them apart and confirmed that. i assume vehicle manufacturers use the same housings for cost savings since HIDs are normally an option/upgrade. it's a lot easier to add HIDs to the existing housing, then to change it all together...... one vehicle that comes to mind that does have two different housings, is the mustang....the halogen is the traditional reflective housing while the HID option gives it a projector housing.

and the differences between the cut off on the halogen projector and hid projector shouldn't differ MUCH. i still think the hid cut off may be sharper and crisper.

I too "THINK" the housings are the same. I posted in another thread about a month ago.... http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=322627&page=2

When I was searching on Ebay it looks like the non-HID housing still has a mounting spot for the ballast on the bottom. When you look at the HID housing..the only difference (visually) is the ballast is actually attached to the housing.

Now whether the projector is actually different is the unknown....

Back