question about holes where flares were | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

question about holes where flares were

I'm wondering how I can cover up the holes that are left from where my flares (side skirts?) were on the sides of the truck.

I was going to get running boards, but I think i would rather have fender flares with nothing on the sides by the doors

anyone?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you could fill weld them or put some little grommet things over them.

what do you mean grommet things? where do you get that?

I bought some little black plastic plugs from a local auto parts store. They were the only ones i could find that had the right size(after trying autozone and advanced auto parts). I bought out there whole inventory of them cause there were like 19 holes per side. Even then I didn't have enough and used some of the plugs thats came off when i pulled the plastic pieces off. However, I scratched and dented the hell out of my lower driver's side door (below the protective strip) so soon I'll bondo up the dents after i try and pull them and fill the holes too. Then just cover the whole lower side with a bed liner on both sides. Since I have a black truck im thinking it will look alright and be much tougher than before.

the bedliner things sounds like a pretty good idea.....you think it will cover/fill the holes?

what about like rocker panels or something?

I just herculined my rocker panels after removing side steps and it will not cover the holes,you can also buy the black grometts at lowes or home depot.

Originally posted by Nick26
not sure about that, I was gonna try some bondo or jb weld to fill them first, then sand it smooth.

I just recently filled a hole .3" in diameter using a penney and JB Weld. You can not sand smooth JB Weld. You must file it.

will that cover the holes? It looks higher then where the flares were...

EE panels

Those things are like big stickers. I have a set (but not from EE) that I might be putting on my explorer. I painted it and was going to use the panels to help disguise any of my body work that could be seen. Not sure I if am going to use them now cause my work was pretty clean.

Anyway they are 4 1/2" wide pieces that have adheasive on the back of them. they are a PVC of somesort, so it is thicker than a regular sticker but not excessively. They pretty much stick on wherever you want them in that general location.

I had holes in my front fenders from the same molding i think you took off. I welded them up and would recommend that as the way to go.

It is really a pretty easy job. Pending you have a welder or a freind with one.

TIP: don't mess with trying to get a piece of metal in the hole. Get a piece of copper behind it as backing (go in through the wheel well) and you can fill the hole with weld. When you are done just pull the copper out. The weld won't stick to it since it distributes the heat so fast. Grind flush with the fender and use a little filler on top to make it smooth as can be.

Use the evercoat stuff if you can get your hands on it instead of bondo. It is just a finer filler and gives you better finished results.

Paint would be your big obsticle here. You can either rattle can the area and have it not look to great or paint the whole fender. if you are 2-tone you may be able to just mask at the line and respray the bottoms. Alot of guys use herc down there too.

If you want to try the panels shoot me a PM and I might be able to sell you the ones I have, cheaper than EE has them for, if i end up not using them

thanks for the tips...welding isn't really an option, I don't have anything and not sure who would. I will see what happens. I will PM you probably about the rocker panels.

Prof

I just used bondo and then sanded it flush. Then i used a pretty close color to paint it over it looks nice. You can hardly tell unless you get real close.

well heres pics after I bondoed, sanded and herculined my panels... Sorry there so big, i didn't have time to make thumbnails, anyway its gives you a closer look :D Also I should let you know that i have a 3" body lift on incase your wondering if that much of the frame will show when you remove them.
136-3680_IMG.JPG

136-3681_IMG.JPG

136-3682_IMG.JPG
136-3683_IMG.JPG

136-3684_IMG.JPG

Back