question about lower ball joint for 93 explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

question about lower ball joint for 93 explorer

reaper2012

Reaction score
City, State
northampton ma.
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 sport
hi all. i have a 93 explorer and the question i have is do you need to remove the upper ball joint to replace the lower ball joint or can you leave the upper one in. i will be using a press from auto zone to do this job.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If I remember correctly, you can do the lower without removing the upper..however...If it's a 4WD Explorer, for the amount of hassle it is to change the balljoints in a Gen 1, you're better off changing both out.

If I remember correctly, you can do the lower without removing the upper..however...If it's a 4WD Explorer, for the amount of hassle it is to change the balljoints in a Gen 1, you're better off changing both out.

And I would give you the same advice if it's a 2WD, like mine. I did all four of mine a month ago...what a learning experience! And BTW, never underestimate the worth of a good heavy (20+oz) hammer. The press I had, new from Harbor Freight ($30), would not budge the lower BJ, the original in my '93...so i clamped the spindle in a secure, heavy vise, and banged hell at the base of the lower BJ...and it moved!!! I then used the press to push it the rest of the way out. That was the right side.

When I did the left side, I did not use the press at all...I simply banged both of them out, using the hammer with an 8" long piece of solid steel 1" diameter stock. This was easier and faster than the press. Of course, I used the press to put the new ones in. Have fun!:usa:

thanx guys it is 4wd and your right might as well do both will i am in there

Ball joints on a 1st gen are much more involved than 2nd gens+.. As such it is better (imo) to replace both at the same time as the others have already stated.

As far as just replacing the lower ball joint it would depend on the type of press you used and the adapters that came with it.

any of you know a good thread to look at can't seem to find one

Do both as stated. Throw the New Ball joints in the freezer overnight and take each one out as you put it in. Freezing shrinks them a bit to make the install easier.

Passenger side. Look to the midpoint of the Axle where the rubber boot is. unclip the hose clap from one side of the boot to allow the shaft to come out. Do you have a slide hammer and spindle socket for the removal of the spindle? You are going to want that.

so should i use a spindle socket or a puller for the slide hammer

On mine I used a soft mallet and tapped around the sides of the spindle until it worked loose, then slipped a cold chisel in to the gap and worked around the outside until it popped off.

yea the first thing i do is go and get a haynes manual as soon as i buy the car.i am going to do the balljoints today got all the stuff but no spindle socket for the slide hammer.all i got is the puller now from what i have read on this sight is to put the nut back on the spindle and hook the jaws onto this and use the hammer.my question is this ,all i got is the wheel bearing adjusting nut with the little key is that going to be strong enough and not mess up the threads on the spindle. i also have a back up plan , a bfh!

well didnt even get to the ball joints my wife gets back from shopping (its her car)and tells me something is wrong with the car said it died out while driving and then didnt want to start back up againit took about ten min. to finally start.when i went to move it into the garage it started fine and then i turned it off went inside for about 5 and then went to start it and it was running really ruff stepped on the gas didn't want to rev was like it was bogging down wanted to stall,a couple small backfires.i then shut it off and it wouldn't start for almost ten min.during that time i tried to get the codes and that wouldn't work and i took off the maf snsor and tube checked that put it all back together and she started right up with no problem. going to take her for a ride see what happens. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. i'll try the ball joints tommorow.thanks for all your help so far

yea the first thing i do is go and get a haynes manual as soon as i buy the car.i am going to do the balljoints today got all the stuff but no spindle socket for the slide hammer.all i got is the puller now from what i have read on this sight is to put the nut back on the spindle and hook the jaws onto this and use the hammer.my question is this ,all i got is the wheel bearing adjusting nut with the little key is that going to be strong enough and not mess up the threads on the spindle. i also have a back up plan , a bfh!

anybody have an answer to my question.i want to start these ball joints but dont want to screw any thing else up.i have a bfh if this isnt going to work with the slide hammer .thanks for any help you can give me

anybody have an answer to my question.i want to start these ball joints but dont want to screw any thing else up.i have a bfh if this isnt going to work with the slide hammer .thanks for any help you can give me

You won't need a BFH if you have a slide puller. Pulling on the large wheel bearing nut won't screw up anything. You aren't supply huge amounts of power, just power in the correct direction to remove the spindle. The specialized spindle removal sockets mentioned by Tony H just thread onto the spindle itself so you don't need to fuss with the 2 or 3 jaws on the puller.

thank you for the answer,unfortunatly auto zone dosnt have the spindle socket,so i have to use the jaw puller.

I was able to do like JDraper and use a flat head screwdriver to pry it off, it came off pretty easy but I also dont have to deal with rust and all that in my area. Ive heard a few horror stories when trying to get that spindle off so If it doesnt come right off be patient and keep trying.

Back