Question about Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting Shock | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting Shock

Alexdeluca

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 explorer xlt
the part number is 58617 i believe. I have just been browsing these and I have heard that they can lift your truck up about 1.25." Is that only If you have a rear end sag or will they lift all trucks?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

id already fixed my rear end sag before i added these shocks i still got a small lift

I just installed them on my '98 4 door Explorer with AAL and shackle lift and still got almost an inch additional height with them. But they do ride a little rougher but not bad.

I just installed them on my '98 4 door Explorer with AAL and shackle lift and still got almost an inch additional height with them. But they do ride a little rougher but not bad.

I don't think they ride rougher than my stock 16 year old shocks. :D

Personally, I think the valving in them is a HELL of a lot better than the stock shocks ever were. Sure, the back is a little stiffer, but I wouldn't say rougher... (as if that distinction makes any sense)

Personally, I think the valving in them is a HELL of a lot better than the stock shocks ever were. Sure, the back is a little stiffer, but I wouldn't say rougher... (as if that distinction makes any sense)

Ok, ok I restate, stiffer! LOL
But yes a heck of alot better then the wore out 15 y/o shocks that were on it and replaced the front with the Sensa trak shocks as well and the truck definitely rides alot better.

had mine on my 99 for a while,, let me give you a long term impression,,

i tow an 18 foot bass boat that has a decent tongue weight,and my Ex stays level with the boat on, and it makes the ride in the back just a tad softer,

with no boat on the hook it was a bit stiffer than stock at first ,but that mellowed after a while making the ride real nice and it put me right at stock height which was why i put them on in the first place,, i run with 31x10.5x15 tires with no lift,,

all in all i would say it was well worth the expense,,

i really like them,,

i just picked up some last week. gonna try to install them this week at my shop. seeing how the ride is after the install

They will add ride height, whether you have sagging or not.

I was very happy with them on my 98 XLT. Gave 1.5" of lift, or so. Ride was fine, not noticeably worse than my 2000 Sport without the load adjusting rears.

I just ordered a pair but the item # on jcwhitney was 1022999 are these the same shock? I sure hope so lol

As for my review on the Monroe's, it has been several months with these installed in the rear and i have yet to have a single complaint. They are not a harsh/rough ride, but they do not bounce like the stock shocks would allow. Great recovery when going over speed bumps and other..'bumps'. I recently tested them off-road on a few logging trails and will say my rear end did slide around a little bit. I might have been going a little faster than I should have been, so I would not take that statement as the truest review :) So if you plan to rally race in the forest, I would steer you away from them :) Other than that, they do lift the rear end about 1.25" (some reported higher).

I have a very different opinion of Monroe shocks.

Ive put monroe sensatracs in a few vehicles, and I always get the same results. Junk. The dampening effect is either too much or non-existant. This was in 2 different explorers, a Camaro, and a Dodge Avenger. They wear out very quickly IMHO too.

I have almost exclusively used KYB shocks/struts since. I have GR2's on my 1996 V8 2 wheel drive, KYB Gas-A-Justs on the back of my 1994 Camaro, and another set on my wife's Avenger.

As far as sagging goes, new shocks are just a bandaid, especially Sensatracs. I sure they feel GREAT compared to almost 20 year old stock motorcraft shocks, but at that point what wouldnt. If you ever had an opportunity to ride in a truck with stock brand new motorcrafts compared to the sensatracs you'd never go back. As far as towing goes, load adjusting type shocks can help, but better springs out back also work wonders and are a much better solution when towing heavey loads.

Here is another option:

http://overloadsprings.com/

Just don't go full retard and go over teh towing capacity of your hitch/frame on the explorer LOL

I had driver side sag a little I got 1.5 lift after settle and 1.25 pass side
I also just towed my 18' boat and the rear stayed nice and level definitely a great shock

Does anyone have before and after pictures of these? I plan on pulling the trigger soon.

Does anyone have before and after pictures of these? I plan on pulling the trigger soon.

Go look at my thread "the X so far"

Had monroe 58617 installed last summer to fix rear end sag.Truck sits level and somewhat higher. first two weeks,the ride was stiff and i was starting to wonder if I made the right move. After two weeks ,things started to ease up some and the ride got acceptable. This is on a 2000 4 door with sport package.

Just an update, used sensatrac load adjusters on another rig, a 96 XLT V8. Rides great and back end is up like its supposed to be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back