• Register Today It's free!

Question About MPG

Dalmus

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 4.0L Flex; 190K Miles
So I've had my trusty 4.0L '03 for a looong time now, and she's really showing her age. She has a tranny issue that finally developed over the past year (rough shift from 2nd to 3rd), a subtle rumbling sound when I'm cruising at HWY speeds that goes away when I take my foot off the gas (torque converter?) and a noticeable reduction in off-the-line acceleration (but not towing power)

All of this I expect with age. But I'm mystified at one thing... My MPG is actually better now than it ever has been. On long weekend trips up north (lots of freeway and 55mph hwy) I will get between 20-23 mpg. During the summer, I will get 17-18 consistently with city driving.

When I got it at 50K miles, I was averaging 18 mpg up north and 15 in the city.

Shouldn't the mileage be going down, not up?

Any theories as to why my '03 Explorer now has comparable mileage to my '09 3.0L 4x4 Escape?

Just insanely curious!

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where are you getting your MPG's from?

Message center or miles driven divided by gallons used?

Something doesn't sound right to me

I actually use an app to track every fill up going back to October if 2010, so it's miles divided by gallons. I'm sure there is a slight variance from pump to pump when the auto shutoff triggers, buy it should be accurate.

Screenshot_2015-07-22-22-26-22.png

Screenshot_2015-07-22-22-29-03.png

My thought was, given the poor acceleration, maybe the engine isn't producing the power it should, causing it to use less fuel?

I wouldn't have bought the Escape if the Ex were getting that kind of mileage at the time!

What does the message center say?

I'm not sure how you drive, assuming you drive the same. Slower starts may help. My wife is heavy off the line and gets 13/14. When I drive hers I get 17.

The shift between 2 and 3 sounds like the start of the servo piston issue. The rumbling sounds like your rear diff is starting to go. I had an 02 with all these issues and more! As far as the MPGs, I can't see why it would be getting better, unless the diff is causing less resistance on the driveline. Maybe the lsd is worn causing less resistance? IDK, it's a stretch, but with the issues you're having it's a guess!

I never get above 17MPG on the highway with cruise set to 55-60. Your estimates seem to be a stretch.

I never get above 17MPG on the highway with cruise set to 55-60. Your estimates seem to be a stretch.

If it were the message center, I'd simply not trust it. I know the message center on my Escape typically over estimates fuel economy, sometimes by as much as 3 mpg.

But its hard numbers... Last fill up was 303 miles on 14.155 gallons. Roughly 200 would be freeway (65-75mph) and the rest were two lane roads up north, 45-55 mph.

I'm not trying to be like "Oooh, I get better mileage than anybody!." :) I'm just trying to get ideas on WHY for my own curiosity. Its obviously not because its in pristine condition!

The shift between 2 and 3 sounds like the start of the servo piston issue. The rumbling sounds like your rear diff is starting to go. I had an 02 with all these issues and more! As far as the MPGs, I can't see why it would be getting better, unless the diff is causing less resistance on the driveline. Maybe the lsd is worn causing less resistance? IDK, it's a stretch, but with the issues you're having it's a guess!

I had the rear diff rebuilt three years ago because of the howl and a creepy ticking noise. The howl started coming back about a week after the one year parts and labor warranty expired. Woohoo.

I was kind've thinking the hard shift might be a solenoid. I'd have somebody drop the pan and take a look to see what's going on, but virtually every mechanic (other than the actual Ford dealer) tells me to not change the fluid on such a high mileage truck because the gunk is probably providing the friction that's keeping her moving.

I'm actually thinking of taking it to CarMax soon just to see what they'd offer to buy it outright. Because it runs, air works, still tows my boat, Engine purrs like a kitten and body/interior are in good shape etc, I feel like I could get $1500 if I sell it privately...

are you guys using a gps to see if your speedometers are even accurate? I have slightly bigger tires on my explorer so I have to do a 4% adjustment to speeds and mpgs. According the trip meter I average 16.5 mpg on the highway (17.1 mpg adjusted). When cruise set at 72, I'm really doing 74ish.

My uncles suburban with factory size correct tires reads 2 mph over at 65 mph. So cruise set at 67 you're doing 65... That is from factory... So his mpgs (16.2 mpg highway) is over rated. So the corrected mpgs for his is 15.7 (sounds about right for a suburban)

are you guys using a gps to see if your speedometers are even accurate? I have slightly bigger tires on my explorer so I have to do a 4% adjustment to speeds and mpgs. According the trip meter I average 16.5 mpg on the highway (17.1 mpg adjusted). When cruise set at 72, I'm really doing 74ish.

My uncles suburban with factory size correct tires reads 2 mph over at 65 mph. So cruise set at 67 you're doing 65... That is from factory... So his mpgs (16.2 mpg highway) is over rated. So the corrected mpgs for his is 15.7 (sounds about right for a suburban)

You had me curious... I took it out on the highway a few times with my GPS, and the vehicle speedometer appears to read about 2 mph FASTER than the GPS speed reading at speed (70mph in Wisconsin). Roughly 3 mph faster at 75.

Used to be that freeways would have a section marked as one mile. You'd hold it at 60mph and clock the time to the 1 mile marker.

Used to be that freeways would have a section marked as one mile. You'd hold it at 60mph and clock the time to the 1 mile marker.

Yeah, I see those sometimes. I was told as a child they were there so that planes in the air could calculate your speed and notify state troopers ahead to give you a ticket. :)

Back