question about rancho coil swap... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

question about rancho coil swap...

KJL

Reaction score
City, State
TURLOCK, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 4.0 4x4. 00 4.0 2x4
So my 93 sport came with a 3" body lift and I believe 2.5 rancho lift. Could be a four inch lift but im not sure. Does anyone have the measurement of the rancho springs?

Also is it.possible to swap the coils on the rancho lifts like guys do with the 4" to 6" skyjacker coils.

It has extended radius arms from rancho and the whole deal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe Rancho only offered 2.5", at least for 1st Gens.
I have that kit on my ranger, it's identical to the Explorer kit, at least the front half is.
I swapped in some 4" coils, Skyjacker I think. You'll need an alignment, and probably some degree shims, but otherwise it's no problem. You may not be able to get it into perfect camber, but it was close enough for me. This was years ago, so I don't remember the details too well. ;)

I have the 4 degree shims from napa ($40 each iirc)

How can I tell if its the 2.5" or the 4" for sure? The previous owner painted all the rancho stuff black. But the red is coming through so thats kinda how I figured it was rancho.

Anyone have the coil measurements by chancd?

So pretty much would be 4-6" coils and the shims? Ive been searching online for maybe an old link on a site that has the rancho lifts with some part numbers to cross reference but I havent found anytthing that suggests that the kits are the same besides the coils.

I believe Rancho only offered 2.5", at least for 1st Gens.
I have that kit on my ranger, it's identical to the Explorer kit, at least the front half is.
I swapped in some 4" coils, Skyjacker I think. You'll need an alignment, and probably some degree shims, but otherwise it's no problem. You may not be able to get it into perfect camber, but it was close enough for me. This was years ago, so I don't remember the details too well. ;)

Odds are high that you have 2.5" coils, that's what came with it.

I would not recommend trying to squeeze in 6" coils. The geometry will be way off, in ways the shims can't correct.

Everything in the Rancho 2.5" TTB lift is identical for 1st gen Exs and similar gen Rangers, except for rear axle parts. The front lift parts are the same.

Odds are high that you have 2.5" coils, that's what came with it.

I would not recommend trying to squeeze in 6" coils. The geometry will be way off, in ways the shims can't correct.

Everything in the Rancho 2.5" TTB lift is identical for 1st gen Exs and similar gen Rangers, except for rear axle parts. The front lift parts are the same.

So the 4" springs will would work? Springs, install alignment shims and im good ya?

It will work. It just won't be perfect.
I'm good with the alignment being "close enough". I'm okay with the extra bump steer.
It's a trade-off for not doing things right, which would be to lower the radius arm brackets to compensate for the added spring lift.
Go for it. Worst thing is you don't like it, but then you can swap the current coils back in!

It will work. It just won't be perfect.
I'm good with the alignment being "close enough". I'm okay with the extra bump steer.
It's a trade-off for not doing things right, which would be to lower the radius arm brackets to compensate for the added spring lift.
Go for it. Worst thing is you don't like it, but then you can swap the current coils back in!

Thats kinda what im thinking. Thanks for the help guys

Back