Question about removing window tint! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about removing window tint!

Jake's Dad

Reaction score
City, State
Brighton, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT, AWD 5.0 302
Hey Gang:

Last year I had a detail shop put on some tint, but it is so dark in the back that I can't see out at night!

I once had a Bronco II and took off some tint off the back window. It pulled the metal defrost line thingys off with it, ruining the whole rear window defroster.

So anyway, can I take it off safely myself or should I have a professional do this?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

JD:chug:

When removing tint in the past, I have left the truck out in the sun for awhile and then if needed use a hair dryer to heat the tint up more. Then you can peel the edga of it up and take some water and dishwashing deterergent in a spray bottle and spray between the film and the glass, as you peel it back. This shoudl release th efilm without damaging the defroster.

dont mean to hijack the thread, but what about removing the factory privacy glass tent? and my front windows have aftermarket tinting that is peelings and has holes in it. same procedure for removal? thinking about getting all windows done with same tint. thanks

The factory tint is in the glass, not on it.

Whenever you remove tint from a wired window you risk pulling the wires off with the tint. But defroster wires can be repaired.

Back