• Register Today It's free!

Question about speaker volume

mgreen1969

Reaction score
City, State
Rocky Mount, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT Wilderness edt.
New to the forum. Just a quick question to start off with. I have a 97 XLT that has the premium jbl system with the 6 cd changer and subwoofer. The stock speakers were 12 yrs old obviously so I put 3way 6x8 Pioneers in all four doors. System sounds ok but I have noticed that when I use the fade knob that the front speakers are much louder than the rear speakers. Is this normal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah, those stock amps are garbo if you ask me, id get a nice little aftermarket headunit, then get the amp bypass harness, but i notice in alot of the stereo's i hear, the fronts are always way louder than the backs for some reason

Uhhh, you're closer to the front speakers, therefore, they're louder. They're supposed to be louder. When was the last time the band played behind you at a concert anyway?

Uhhh, you're closer to the front speakers, therefore, they're louder. They're supposed to be louder. When was the last time the band played behind you at a concert anyway?

Actually, in a 4 door explorer, youre going to be closer to the rear speakers, since they are in the front part of the rear doors (right behind the front seat essentially). The front seats block some of the sound waves though, so they may not seem as loud as the fronts

I will add a couple of notes to my original post since some seem to think I'm a moron for posting the question. First off I have about a 90% hearing loss so what is "normal" for most is not necessarily what is normal for me as far as stereos, speaker volumes etc. Secondly, the original speakers were a two way in the back seat with a three way in front. I expected the fronts to be louder. But when I replaced all four doors with the same speaker I expected them to be close. Didnt know what the output front vs rear was so thats why I asked the question. And as far as the smartass answer about bands playing behind me.... With my hearing loss I could be right in the middle of the speaker stacks and still not hear it ... would probably feel the vibrations rather than hear. And to the same person I would have to say that in all of the other stereos that I have had in my vehicles the front and rear speaker output was pretty close to the same; in this vehicle there is a noticable difference. So to those out there that took the question seriously and tried to help; thanks.

That answer wasn't intended to be smartass, it was intended to make you think a bit. In a proper system, rear speakers shouldn't even be considered. Now, instead of allowing myself to be pissed off at YOUR shallow comment (I apologize for mine not conveying my intended message), I will suggest using 8" midbasses in the doors, and horn drivers mounted below the dash. Kinda expensive, but you WILL hear it, and accuracy will not be questioned.

Back