• Register Today It's free!

Question about sub box Volume?

dmanhogg

Reaction score
City, State
Penticton, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XL
Quick question for you audio nuts on here.
I have 2 15" L5's, which need 3-5 cubic feet per sub.
I have built a custom box that is 4.2 cubic feet, and it has no dividers in it.
So here's my question.
Can i mount both my subs in this box? Or will i have to have another box with the same airspace?
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can mount both your subs in it, but they won't hit nearly as hard or work as designed as if they were each in their own sectioned off enclosure and had the correct amount of airspace for each sub.

There's different theories about putting multiple subs in undivided sealed/ported enclosures, and some people do it, but if you call up the manufacturer and talk to their tech staff, they'll tell you for the most output, stick each sub in it's own space and use the given enclosure sizes.

Individual chambers absolutely are not louder than common...infact its usually the opposite because common chamber allows more port and enclosure options and gives you the ability to load the woofers differently off of each other or the walls of the enclosure. The reason manufacturers tell you to have them seperated is incase of a failure of one of the woofers you wont damage the other one when the enclosure volume essentially doubles bc the other woofer is no longer using it. Theyd rather warranty one woofer than two. Another minor reason is that a divided box is braced better but that can be worked around.

The loudest vehicles in the world ALL use common chamber.

To the original poster..are we talking about a sealed enclosure or ported? For starters 90% of kicker products dont work very well in sealed enclosures. And nearly anyone who know what theyre talking about with regards to box design will recommend staying away from a sealed enclosure anyway and going with a ported, bandpass, horn etc design. You'll get much better results having a box custom built for your setup and vehicle particularly. I have my own enclosure business and have built nearly all the loudest vehicles in western Canada aswell as countless groundpounding daily drivers who dont have interest in competing. If ur interested in talking about a custom enclosure PM me.

Actually the L7 subwoofers parameters lean way toward sealed. But in reality they perform much better in ported applications.

i'll be building a new box and all. its a slot ported box.
just wanted to know... if they NEED 3 cubic feet each, can i mount them both in a 4ft, undivided box? or that doesnt work?

i'll be building a new box and all. its a slot ported box.
just wanted to know... if they NEED 3 cubic feet each, can i mount them both in a 4ft, undivided box? or that doesnt work?

i wouldnt go below 5 cubes for 2 15s ported. Also keep in mind thats 5 cubes after your woofer, brace and port displacements

L7s like LARGE ported enclosures. 4 cu ft PER SUBWOOFER is the least I would recommend for ported applications.

ok so i have the general idea for the box now. thanks guys
one more question though,
this is my first time putting an amp to my door speakers. i have a 2 channel amp that runs at 2 ohms.. does that mean 2 ohms per channel? thanks in advance

ok so i have the general idea for the box now. thanks guys
one more question though,
this is my first time putting an amp to my door speakers. i have a 2 channel amp that runs at 2 ohms.. does that mean 2 ohms per channel? thanks in advance

yes that would be 2 ohms per channel in stereo id think. Most two channel amps arent rated to run 2 ohm bridged

L7s like LARGE ported enclosures. 4 cu ft PER SUBWOOFER is the least I would recommend for ported applications.

original poster is talking about L5s

Sub manufacturers spend a ton of money on researching the best sized enclosures, for the sound you're looking for. I would use the size they suggest. And everybody that I've talked to says to use a divider.

L5s also like larger than "normal" ported enclosures too.

Back