Question about the climate control (EATC) Unit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about the climate control (EATC) Unit

mrnapolean1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
I just finished install a 99 Explorer steering wheel in my 97 with the manufacturing of a custom harness to adapt the 8 pin connector to the 6 pin in the truck without cutting the factory harness.

I have two wires one is a blue with a red stripe which goes to the radio control and a yellow which goes to the EATC unit.

97 never did have factory steering wheel controls other than cruise and seeing that the EATC wires do the same thing between the 97 and the 99 I have as a parts car,

Is it worth repining the 97 connector to add the functionality of steering wheel controls?

I have the wiring schematics thanks to user swshawaii in one of my previous threads....

My '99 Mounty has the extra controls on the steering wheel, my '00 XLT doesn't. When I drive the XLT I really miss them!

If you can only get some of them to work, I find that I use the Temperature up/down and Volume up/down the most. Seldom use the Fan control and never use Next and Mode.

If you can figure out the wiring I think you'll like keeping your hands closer to the steering wheel.

Good Luck,

My '99 Mounty has the extra controls on the steering wheel, my '00 XLT doesn't. When I drive the XLT I really miss them!

If you can only get some of them to work, I find that I use the Temperature up/down and Volume up/down the most. Seldom use the Fan control and never use Next and Mode.

If you can figure out the wiring I think you'll like keeping your hands closer to the steering wheel.

Good Luck,

The radio controls will probably never work in my 97 because the harnesses for the radio are 100% different. The EATC unit connectors are exactly the same but the pins between the 97 and the 99 are in different spots.

I already have the yellow wire prepped and ready for connecting to the 99's EATC once I repin the connectors.

Back