question about throttle cable mod

LiKuiD

bahhhhhhhhh
Reaction score
City, State
Hillsborough, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 EB
now since ive done this ive had so much more power but my mileage has just sucked even more but the more important thing (haha) is my tranny is shifting alot differently. on the gas pedal there is the throttle cable and the tranny kickdown cable? now since i put 2 zip ties on the throttle cable should i put 2 on the other cable so my tranny will shift better? im not sure how it works and if thats even the tranny cable. anyone know? if not i think im gonna take the zip ties off so my tranny will shift normally...i have a feeling if it shifts as hard as it is doing now it wont last as long as it should...:confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was that hard to do

no took about 30 seconds and 2 zipties

How bad did it effect gas mileage:(

It's not that simple.

You did not gain power by doing the cable mod, all you did was remove slack so the butterfly valve in the throttle body is sure to open fully. Over time the cable can stretch and the throttle plate may not open fully, forcing you to push the pedal all the way down (point your toes) or do the cable mod.

The kick down cable must be adjusted over again, you cannot simply add the same spacer on the kick down cable and expect it to work right. The Kick down cable is your trannys only input from the real worl as to whats happening. The PCM (computer) also uses various sensors to help control the overdrive shift and the lock up convertor, one of these sensors is the throttle position sensor. So basically what you have done is made the throttle open fully further up the pedal (you dont have to push down as far to make it open all the way) which means you have also chaged the amount of throw the pedal has (throttle plate opens fully with less pedal travel). Now this makes it feel more responsive and your throttle is mcuh quicker to respond, which is good. However taking out oo much slack can make it impossible to adjust the kick down to work, I found out the hard way. I simply took out 1/2" slack from the throttle cable and 1/2 slack from the kick down, didnt work. The tranny was hunting and pecking all the time even when I kep steady pedal pressure.

So the best way to adjust your kick down is to do like Ford describes when installing a new one. There is an adjustment on all Ford kick down cables right at the firewall (under the hood). You basically press the button down (can be very firm) and pull the cable casing out all the way. Then all it takes is one push all the way to the floor with the gas pedal and the cable will self adjust (clicks into position and locks). Now you may find this is not enough and try adding one spacer to the kick down at a time anbd repeat the process.

Personally I like to adjust the kick down by hand, having a friend press the pedal down while I monitor the travel at the transmission. It's a trial and error process until you get it to "feel" right. I ended up taking only 1/4"of slack from each cable, any more then that and the kick down would not function properly...

Hope that helps!!! Any good tranny guy should be able to help you adjust your kick down if you cant figure it out...

ok ill try that and yes the only reason im having all this power is because before i had so much slack the butterfly would only open about a quarter when the pedal was fully depressed and now it opens completely and i can have WOT. it only affected my milieage cuz i love to hear my engine roar at WOT around 4k rpm. :D

....and thank you very very much 410Fortune!!! im going to go try it now.

ok well i did it and it seems to be shifting alot better but tomrrow when i get to take it on the highway i will know for sure...untill then! :D

Back