Question about timing 4.0L 2003 Ford Explorer Flex | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about timing 4.0L 2003 Ford Explorer Flex

Hartsell61

Reaction score
City, State
Yukon, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer 4.0L
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has done a head gasket job on this motor. My wifes explorer started putting combustion gasses into the overflow but the oil looks fine so I am figuring that i have a blown head gasket. Looks pretty straight forward except I am a little shaky on the timing of the motor. I was wondering if any of you have found a way to successfully time the motor without the OTC Tools & Equipment 6488 Ford Cam Tool Kit. Also if there happens to be anyone in the OKC area that is whizz on the motors that might like to help out and make a few bucks with this project please let me know.

Spend 200 bucks on the kit, sell it for 150. If you find used, buy for 150, sell for 150. They are a pretty hot commodity with so many of these 4.0L out there. Much easier with the kit. On a second note, grab yer popcorn and get settled in.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269442

get the timing tool kit

I've timed my engine without the kit but I don't recommend trying it. If you don't use the precision tensioner that's in the kit the chain will probably not be taught when the camshaft sprocket retaining bolt is tightened. In that case the timing can be a few degrees off. If you don't use the kit to hold the camshaft from turning I suggest using locking pliers instead of inserting spacers under the camshaft bearing caps. The caps break easily and once one is broken you'll have to buy a new head because the camshafts don't use bearing inserts. My opinion is that if you work on your own vehicle and have the SOHC V6 you should have the timing tool kit as long as you own the vehicle. If you PM me your email address I'll send you a copy of the engine assembly instructions that shows how to use the timing tool kit. You can also check out SOHC V6 related threads in my useful threads.

Back