Question about towing behind pickup.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about towing behind pickup..

NODAK86

Reaction score
Had some problems with the explorer today and need to tow it about 15 miles or so to my mechanic.

Are there any issues using a tow strap from a full size pickup to my 01' sport, towing w/ all 4 wheels down (2" x 20' strap)? Should I just leave it in neutral 2wd while being towed? Not even sure if it is safe to do or not on this vehicle. It is an automatic if that matters. Manual say don't tow this way unless needed? What does that even mean?

Please help! Im -200 already from this damn thing, Im guessing a tow truck will be another $100... : (

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In my opinion, go ahead and tow it,not too fast, in neutral. 15 miles should not be a big deal. Why do you need to tow it? Obviously it doesn't run, but why? Engine, trans, or what. That could have a bearing whether you should tow it or not. Also where will you be towing it, in town, open road, freeway, does either person have any experience doing this? I am going to assume you don't, just remember, the TOWED vehicle needs to be able to stop BOTH vehicles, lest the strap gets loose.

I would check local laws to see if it is legal first off and make a call from there. I have done it, not sure of the legality of it though. I towed an Olds bravada about 5 miles with my explorer. Some of it was on a 4 lane. Just keep that line tight. Brake first with the back car, and before pulling out make sure the line is tight. Keep an open line of communication between the two cars (cell phone on speaker, or walkies). Also be sure the tow strap is strong enough to handle this job.

Not a good idea the towed vehicle will have very little braking while the engine is off. That explorer is going to be really hard to stop and will most likely wind up kissing the truck towing it.

When I was young, we had an old GMC pickup that ran on propane. The fuel gauge didn't work and at least once a year, we would lose track of when we filled up last. We lived about 25 miles away from the nearest propane filling station, so we got very good at using a chain to pull the truck that distance without indecent.

As pointed out earlier in this thread, you need the towed vehicle to do the braking so you keep tension on your tow strap/chain. Use hand signals or some other communication with the pull vehicle so you know when they've let off the gas and you should apply the brakes. Of course, with the vacuum reserve being gone from the booster, it will be difficult to slow the two vehicles down, give yourself lots of time. I wouldn't recommend doing this in a populated area where there is lots of traffic.

Be careful and you will save paying your local tow shop. :D

edit: Or, you could just read Sport97's post which I could have done, before repeating everything he wrote.

Well we made it! Drove 20-25 or so the whole way, a very cold ride for me to say the least. Tweaked the tow hooks up front a little bit but was an incredibly smooth ride the entire way. Now I get the repair estimate : (

Back