Question about transfer case problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about transfer case problem

butchjma

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
:( My stepson has a 97 Explorer XLT. While driving in a straight line, all is good but when I turn the wheels either left or right, the front wheels seem to bind up and it takes considerable gas to get the truck to move. Now when I put the truck in reverse, keeping the wheels turned, there is a mongo sized clunk from underneath. Taking my life in my own hands, I told my fiancee to repeat the forward and reverse process to see if I could find out where it was coming from while I was partially under the truck. Yes, my life insurance premiums are up to date,,,hahahaha. Anyways, the front drive shaft coming out of the transfer case shuddered really bad while making the clunk sound. This is the first time I have had to deal with 4wd and have no clue what is wrong here. All the U-joints seem to be in good shape along with the CV joints. There is a tiny little bit of play in the wheel bearing on the passenger side wheel. The auto switch doesn't indicate that it is in 4 wheel. Any help on this would be much appreciated. Oscar L. Johnson Jr.

Friend with a 2002 just went through what sounds like the same issue. It turned out to be the 4X4 module. The tell tale is to unplug the cable going to your shift motor on the transfer case. You may get a fault thrown at you when you do this but it will not harm anything. Drive it and see if your problem has gone away.
We've seen the modules on ebay for 35-45$. 180$ retail.

The vehicle is in 4wd -- check the rotary switch on the dash to make sure its not in 4HI or 4LO. Do not engage 4wd on dry pavement, this is one of the main reasons why transfer cases go bad, people just dont know when to apply 4wd.

If the rotary switch is in AUTO, as stated by b33p3rmcg, disconnect the electrical connectors on the transfer case.

Back