• Register Today It's free!

Question about wheels

xplojay

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Eddie Bauer
I have the "chrome plastic" 18" wheels on my Eddie Bauer. I want to replace them with aftermarket wheels. Can I go up to 20" without hurting anything or having to change anything and without voiding my warranty or should I just stay with 18"? Any and all opinions appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tires

I am running 22" MOMO Storm wheel with a 265 40 22 Toyo tire. No issues so far and I think they look great.
I added new TPMS sensors and reprogrammed so the TPMS IS WORKING WITH THE NEW WHEELS AND TIRES.

See my pics in "Wheels and Tires"

Lime, what kind of exhaust did you put on it? Looks sweet

Exhaust

The system was custom from Mufflex. It is a Magnaflow muffler, 3" 304 SS. The tip is a dual tip side exit. Sounds good!

Thank you lime. Explorer looks sweet.

I am running 20x8.5 CHROME on 275/45/20 Kuhmo. :thumbsup: No rubbing of any kind. Rides like a charm.

140402211.jpg

I prefer the O.R.-Look - yesterday I tried out how the wheels from the sec.gen´s look on the 2006. Guess I will run 8 x 16" zero offset with 255/70.

Here´s how he looks w/ 99´s wheels ( 7x16 Offset 12 ) with 255/70´s

eddie255-3.jpg

X Deacon, is your Explorer equipped with the TPMS? If so, how did you remedy that situation?

I prefer the O.R.-Look - yesterday I tried out how the wheels from the sec.gen´s look on the 2006. Guess I will run 8 x 16" zero offset with 255/70.

Here´s how he looks w/ 99´s wheels ( 7x16 Offset 12 ) with 255/70´s

eddie255-3.jpg

We are considering wheels for the wife's XLS to get rid of the crappy steel wheels. I am considering trying to give her my 16" wheels off of my Ranger XLT if they fit good, or buying some American Racing wheels for it....Nobody seems to know what will fit the 2006 ex's.....Is offset 12 common to all wheels manufacturers? Will they work with the Ranger wheels?

The 2nd gen´s wheels are Offset 5, my Cobra Apache are Offset "0" - and even with the 265/70 Tires no probs. Even offset -5 would fit. Don´t worry, just try ;)

I am running 22" MOMO Storm wheel with a 265 40 22 Toyo tire. No issues so far and I think they look great.
I added new TPMS sensors and reprogrammed so the TPMS IS WORKING WITH THE NEW WHEELS AND TIRES.

See my pics in "Wheels and Tires"

How do you reprogrammed the TPMS? where you Buy the Sensor? Why You don't reuse the OEM Sensor.

I want to change my wheel, But how I can reuse the OEM Sensor in the New Wheel.

My understanding is that the sensor is "strapped" around the inside hub of the rim and 180 degrees from the valve stem. So, for a different size wheel you would either need a new strap or new set of sensors.

Seems like you'd want to verify they were working and programmed properly before mounting/balancing the tire too.

Back