Question about work required to swap blown 5.0L for 4.0L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about work required to swap blown 5.0L for 4.0L

lorelei2011

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey everyone I have a lead on a 96 limited explorer with a blown 5.0L engine and I was just wondering how much work would be required in swapping the 5.0L for the 4.0L out of my current explorer. Mostly looking at this because mine needs a lot of work and it's been beat on pretty hard before I got it but the motor is in excellent shape it's everything else that needs help. The body and interior on the limited are pretty close to prefect and everything else except motor seems to be in excellent shape.

What would need to be changed to put the 4.0L in.

My current explorer is a 96 XLT 4 door 4.0L auto and the other is a 1996 Limited 5.0L auto both are 4wd.

Thanks so much

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey everyone I have a lead on a 96 limited explorer with a blown 5.0L engine and I was just wondering how much work would be required in swapping the 5.0L for the 4.0L out of my current explorer. Mostly looking at this because mine needs a lot of work and it's been beat on pretty hard before I got it but the motor is in excellent shape it's everything else that needs help. The body and interior on the limited are pretty close to prefect and everything else except motor seems to be in excellent shape.

What would need to be changed to put the 4.0L in.

My current explorer is a 96 XLT 4 door 4.0L auto and the other is a 1996 Limited 5.0L auto both are 4wd.

Thanks so much

The work required is not worth it.

You would have to swap the engine, transmission transfer case drive shafts, pcm and what ever I'm forgetting. Then the 5.0 is AWD so it does not have a selectible t-case so you would have to run the wiring in the 5.0 for the t-case shift motor and swap the radio trim piece.

If you swap ALL wiring over it will work. The limited is going to have features your XLT doesn't and the 4.0 won't have the proper sensors. Sounds like you can just use the shell of the Limited. I'd sell the XLT and use the money to buy a 5.0 though.

Ok thanks for the input. Sounds like far to much work to me.

My transmission has started to slip recently which is the reason I was thinking if it would just be swapping the motor then I would just buy the limited. The fluid and filter in the transmission has been changed still same result so if anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them. Not sure my truck is worth another transmission when I could replace the truck with a lower mileage one for around $2000. Mine has 242,XXXkm on it.

Here is a photo of mine exterior looks are deceiving you do not want to see the interior lol:
(dead links)

Used 5.0 motors are cheap. Sell your 4.0, buy beer and steaks, fire up the grill and invite a friend over who is pretty mechanically inclined. You'll have that thing running in a weekend and be happier with it than you would a 4.0.

I will definitely consider it. I've got a big family so I'm sure we could figure out a motor swap. I do my own breaks, tune-ups etc but a motor swap is a little over my head so I would definitely need help with it.

A motor swap is less complicated than most people think, especially when you are just dropping in a stock motor to replace another stock motor. Don't let it intimidate you.

Back