Question... Does the 1998 Mountaineer need a tow hitch | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

Question... Does the 1998 Mountaineer need a tow hitch

Prater

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ford explorer xlt
Hello All,

This is my first post, so I apologize in advance if I duplicate a question that has been previously asked.

I recently bought a 1998 Mountaineer. I need to tow a Uhaul trailer (5'x8'). I see the port/hole for the tow ball but I am not sure if I need to buy a tow hitch or if one is already installed from the manufacturer. If so, I am sure that it is a low load capacity.

Please help, I am not sure if I need one or not.

Thanks

Holiday Special! Join the Elite Explorers $20 for 2 years! Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Blee1099

Evil Asian
Moderator Emeritus
EF Vendor
Reaction score
City, State
Elkridge, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
I don't recommend towing with the bumper ball, get a frame mounted hitch receiver.

Radioace318

Reaction score
City, State
Shreveport Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Exp XLT 5.0 2WD
Hello All,

This is my first post, so I apologize in advance if I duplicate a question that has been previously asked.

I recently bought a 1998 Mountaineer. I need to tow a Uhaul trailer (5'x8'). I see the port/hole for the tow ball but I am not sure if I need to buy a tow hitch or if one is already installed from the manufacturer. If so, I am sure that it is a low load capacity.

Please help, I am not sure if I need one or not.

Thanks

Good question. I assume the owners manual is missing from the suv. It's is possible that information is in it. Here is a link you may download a free owners manual.

Dead Link Removed

I use my bumper ball a few times a year with no problem. I have a 99 exp 5.0 2wd. I use it for small loads like a 5X8 with no issues at all.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Rick

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
What's going into the 5x8 trailer? if its just general house stuff like clothes and furniture, then I think the bumper hitch might be fine. Just be sure to pay attention and operate within the weight limits of the bumper/vehicle. A few of us have towed small cars (on a tow dolly) with a bumper-mounted ball.

Prater

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ford explorer xlt
Thanks for the advice. I am towing household items. No big furniture. Just nick nacks: small dresser, boxes, etc. There is nothing heavier than 25 lbs. I think that my total weight (for the trailer contents) will be less than 500-600 lbs. It seemed better to rent the trailer than to make 5-6 trips by loading the truck down.