Question... Does the 1998 Mountaineer need a tow hitch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question... Does the 1998 Mountaineer need a tow hitch

Prater

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ford explorer xlt
Hello All,

This is my first post, so I apologize in advance if I duplicate a question that has been previously asked.

I recently bought a 1998 Mountaineer. I need to tow a Uhaul trailer (5'x8'). I see the port/hole for the tow ball but I am not sure if I need to buy a tow hitch or if one is already installed from the manufacturer. If so, I am sure that it is a low load capacity.

Please help, I am not sure if I need one or not.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't recommend towing with the bumper ball, get a frame mounted hitch receiver.

Hello All,

This is my first post, so I apologize in advance if I duplicate a question that has been previously asked.

I recently bought a 1998 Mountaineer. I need to tow a Uhaul trailer (5'x8'). I see the port/hole for the tow ball but I am not sure if I need to buy a tow hitch or if one is already installed from the manufacturer. If so, I am sure that it is a low load capacity.

Please help, I am not sure if I need one or not.

Thanks

Good question. I assume the owners manual is missing from the suv. It's is possible that information is in it. Here is a link you may download a free owners manual.

Dead Link Removed

I use my bumper ball a few times a year with no problem. I have a 99 exp 5.0 2wd. I use it for small loads like a 5X8 with no issues at all.

Hope that helps.

Cheers
Rick

What's going into the 5x8 trailer? if its just general house stuff like clothes and furniture, then I think the bumper hitch might be fine. Just be sure to pay attention and operate within the weight limits of the bumper/vehicle. A few of us have towed small cars (on a tow dolly) with a bumper-mounted ball.

Thanks for the advice. I am towing household items. No big furniture. Just nick nacks: small dresser, boxes, etc. There is nothing heavier than 25 lbs. I think that my total weight (for the trailer contents) will be less than 500-600 lbs. It seemed better to rent the trailer than to make 5-6 trips by loading the truck down.

Back