Question... early bronco axles or full size? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question... early bronco axles or full size?

Rocketheavy

Reaction score
City, State
Bozrah, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT 4x4
Im looking to fit at least 37"s on my 4 door EX. Whats do you think looks better? Also Im pretty much doing this for the look and its not going to be a wheeling machine at least for now. Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And more importantly, will it be legal to drive on the roads with full-width axles?

What are you trying to accomplish w/ FSB axles?

Im just trying to make decision. <77 complete bronco axles/steering components are hard to come by where as full size are not. Im sure someone on here has an EX with full widths. Im not really worried about legal issues unless the tires stick out way to far. Im going to take some measurements tomorrow and see what Im dealing with. you dont really get bothered around here in southeast CT. If its high enough then wont it look more proportionate rather than look like it might tip over with the EB axles?

But the strength of the axles isn't much more than your stock setup, that's why I ask. It's just a D44 / 9" or D44 / 8.8. Maximum recommended tire diameter for the D44 is 34", 8.8 is 35" and 9" could probably handle 37" but I'm not sure on that one.

dana 44 is a tough axle i know guys that run 38 boggers with no problems. Ford 9" rear is probably the toughest thing out there and theres no way Im going to dana 60's. I have a 4.0 not a 5.0.Again, im not building a wheeling machine...

dana 44 is a tough axle i know guys that run 38 boggers with no problems. Ford 9" rear is probably the toughest thing out there and theres no way Im going to dana 60's. I have a 4.0 not a 5.0.Again, im not building a wheeling machine...
I've gone through I think four of these snapped D44 shafts and elongated or snapped yoke "ears":
axleshaft_03.jpg

Saying that an axle can stand up to 38's doesnt really mean anything because the other important factor is how heavy the vehicle is -- this weight, after all, is the opposing force of torque (from the engine) and therefore, it is the combination of torque (a function of tire diameter) and vehicle weight that will determine how long an axle will last. For example, a Dana 44 with 38's will probably last a year or two on a lightweight Suzuki Samurai but it won't last very long on a 4-dr Explorer.

Jurrasic Park - FW with 37" MTRs
White - Narrowed with 36" SXs which are the same size as the MTR. With different backspacing on the wheels, the white one is as wide as the other.

IMG_3985.jpg

P1010019_1.jpg

P1010020_1.jpg

thanks guys. those pictures answered everything!

Back