Question for those of you with lowered 3rd gen 4x4s | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

Question for those of you with lowered 3rd gen 4x4s

ProjectAviator

Reaction score
City, State
SE, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
I am thinking of lowering my 05 Explorer XLT V8 4x4. But I don't want to give up the 4x4 aspect due to where I live. I am not looking to dramatically drop it. just 1-2 inches.
The question for those who dropped your 4x4 3rd gen is: Have you had any problems with the operation of the 4wd as a result of lowering your truck?

Thanks
Tim

zerodevil

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage, AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 White Limited V8
I am thinking of lowering my 05 Explorer XLT V8 4x4. But I don't want to give up the 4x4 aspect due to where I live. I am not looking to dramatically drop it. just 1-2 inches.
The question for those who dropped your 4x4 3rd gen is: Have you had any problems with the operation of the 4wd as a result of lowering your truck?

Thanks
Tim

I lowered my explorer in 2011 with ground force springs and added Eibach sway bars at the same time. I also have a V8 and 4x4, and live in Alaska. I have had no problems with the 4x4 system, or winter driveability. That being said i don't go out driving in 8+ inches of snow expecting to not drag the frame through the snow. My springs advertised a 1.5 inch drop front and rear, but when all was said and done it was closer to 3 inches.