Question for those w/ torsion bar lowering. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question for those w/ torsion bar lowering.

DocVijay

Meow
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 2WD
THe back of my X is now about 1" lower than the front. I'd like to even it out by doing the torsion twist (sounds like a dance). Anyways, my X is at the factory height. I haven't raised or lowered it at all. About how many twists will it take to lower it about an inch? And just to make sure:

LOOSEN = LOWER

TIGHTEN = RAISE

Just want to make sure I do it right the first time. Also, at just an inch do you think an alignment will be necessary? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your much better off just replacing your monoleaf with a leaf pack from a 4-door model.

But that means spending money.

If I can just twist the torsion bar and drop the front 1" that's what I'd like to do. I really don't want to raise the back up, I'd rather lower the front. I'd rather spend the money on other goodies.

THe back of my X is now about 1" lower than the front.

How are your shocks ??

My 98 EB 4x2 4 door sits exactly like yours right now.

Although, the front shocks on mine where recently installed resulting in the increased ride height up front.

I'm gonna replace the rear shocks shortly and see where the ride height ends up.

If it's still outta whack, I'm gonna do the "Torsion Twist"! :bounce: :yelexp: :bounce: :p :D :cool:

I dont know for sure and the only way to tell if you'll need it is to get it. $60. If you need camber adjusters +$50. or so. Or just see if your tires ware uneven.
No free lunch.....

I want to do the same thing. I think I've come to the conclusion that I can't lower the back because of my dual exhaust. Bill, you have duals right? I guess it depends on how the drivers side pipes is run. Mine is pretty close to the rear diff. at stock height so if I lowered the back with blocks that would bring the diff even closer to it. :mad: Anyway, If I went about 1 - 1.5" lower in the front that should give me the look I want. I want it to have a little rake... not much, but a little. I think that would look good. Do I just go to any shop that replaces shocks or something for an alignment. What do the cambers do and what would make them need replacement? I heard that doing a TT can cause damage to the front suspension. Is that only if you go really low? Sorry for the long post.

Do a search on the sport truck forum for lowering. All of your questions & more are answered there. If you still have questions I'll try to help.

Actually Bill, I think you would be the only one that can help. As far as I know you are the only one who has a lowered X with duals. Can you tell me how your drivers side pipe was run and if it is close to the diff. I'm worried that if I lower it I will risk hitting the pipe.

I'll eyeball it and see if I can get some pix.
Let you know what I come up with....

Finally got a pic. There is plenty of room to get around the diffy. Hope this helps....

Attachments

• exhaust pipes under.jpg
    exhaust pipes under.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 371

Back