Question from a Noob concerning a water pump. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question from a Noob concerning a water pump.

RenegadeRoe

Reaction score
City, State
Marietta, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Hello,

I've had my '97 Explorer XLT for a couple of months now and signed up at this site because I realized that it is time for me to start fixing it up.

I have never done anything to a vehical before except for changing oil and oil filters. But I would like to learn the ins and outs of being able to maintain and fix my own transportation.

The other day, I noticed a clicking sound in the engine, and when I got out, noticed that she was running a little warm. So I popped open the hood and saw the problem; it seems that my water pump is shot. It rotates once, then stops (hence the "click" that I was hearing) and repeats this rotation cycle.

I would like to change this out myself, however, I can forsee one problem: The engines one belt runs over the water-pump. So here is my question: Since I am a noob to this, should I just take it in to a professional, or should I attempt this feat myself? Also, if I do attempt this myself, what tools would I need?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice. :)

Sounds like your air condtioner compressor, not the water pump......
The clutch cycling on the a/c compressor every like 5 seconds is an indication that your A/C system is low on refrigerant, once refilled the problem should go away.
The waterpump is mounted on the very front of the engine, it has the cooling fan attached to it....the waterpump rotates with the engine RPM's it does not cycle on and off......

Wow, your right! :) I was going off of what a friend suggested, but when I took a closer look today, lo and behold, the gadget is my air compressor (duh, I should have read the labeling myself!). Thanks a ton...I should have known that my Baby Blue was only thirsty.

Back