Question on front brakes

SHUMAX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 Explorer Sport
I recently had all four rotors replaced on my 2011 Limited. Now, whenever I left off the brake, I hear a groan sound in the drivers front - perhaps the passengers side, too. It's quick - maybe a second long.

I took it back to the dealer and they sat in the car and heard it. They told me it's normal on this car and the Taurus. Apparently, they told me the spring/clip that holds the pads in the caliper move and sort of skip/scrape on the top of the caliper. Again, he told me it was normal for this vehicle and the Taurus.

What I don't understand is why I did not hear it before I brought the vehicle in for the rotor replacement.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Shumax

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take it back and tell them it is unacceptable. Unless they can provide documentation from Ford stating that this is a normal condition then it isn't.

Disc brakes have been around for decades and no properly operating system should make a noise.

If this is normal then why is it only one wheel with the issue?

If this is normal why didn't it occur before the brake change?

The condition changed after they worked on the car, so any changes they are responsible for.

They may not have re-greased (probably cleaned pins but never re-applied the new grease) the slide pin/bolts when re-installed causing the caliper to hang up for the second or two.

Escalate to the service manager if necessary.

You mean every time you press on the brake pedal and release it, there is a groaning noise?

If so, not normal. I replaced all 4 rotors and sets of pads and no noise from any of them.

I did notice the funky front anti-rattle springs and made sure I took pictures of them to get them back into the proper place. First time I've seen that configuration.

As noted above, take it back and tell them to fix it. I'd especially have them make sure all the mounting hardware is in place, not bent, folded, or stuck, and there is a thin layer of the appropriate hi-temp brake grease in the appropriate locations.

The challenge is the service manager is the one telling me this. I don't have the time, nor the inclination, to fight it. Instead, I made an appointment with another dealer local. When they fix it, I will send a letter to the first dealer showing them what repaired it with a copy to the State Attorney general and the BBB. Poor customer service costs businesses business. Period.

By the way - yes. Every time I press the brake pedal and release I get a groan/thump sound. It is NOT the ABS as I know what that is - happens when I just take off.

Before you go to the other dealer, maybe we could get Crystal involved? She might be able to help you with your dealer.

I recently had all four rotors replaced on my 2011 Limited. Now, whenever I left off the brake, I hear a groan sound in the drivers front - perhaps the passengers side, too. It's quick - maybe a second long.

I took it back to the dealer and they sat in the car and heard it. They told me it's normal on this car and the Taurus. Apparently, they told me the spring/clip that holds the pads in the caliper move and sort of skip/scrape on the top of the caliper. Again, he told me it was normal for this vehicle and the Taurus.

What I don't understand is why I did not hear it before I brought the vehicle in for the rotor replacement.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Shumax

Hi SHUMAX,

It might be worthwhile to get a second opinion at a different Ford Dealership. If you need help finding one near you, just enter your ZIP code here: http://www.ford.com/dealerships/locate How many miles are on your Explorer?

Crystal

Hi SHUMAX,

It might be worthwhile to get a second opinion at a different Ford Dealership. If you need help finding one near you, just enter your ZIP code here: http://www.ford.com/dealerships/locate How many miles are on your Explorer?

Crystal

I have an appointment at another dealer Wednesday. Candidly, I should have gone to them in the first place. They dug into my concern and got me set up with a rental, too. Off to a good start!

The challenge is the service manager is the one telling me this. I don't have the time, nor the inclination, to fight it. Instead, I made an appointment with another dealer local. When they fix it, I will send a letter to the first dealer showing them what repaired it with a copy to the State Attorney general and the BBB. Poor customer service costs businesses business. Period.
Unfortunately, you probably won't get your money back from the first dealer. You might want to file a complaint with the dealership owner.

Unfortunately, you probably won't get your money back from the first dealer. You might want to file a complaint with the dealership owner.

You are right. I suspect/hope it is something minor that won't be costly. If it is not, I will be using Crystal and going back to the first dealer to sort it out. Will know more late next week...

I have an appointment at another dealer Wednesday. Candidly, I should have gone to them in the first place. They dug into my concern and got me set up with a rental, too. Off to a good start!

Nice, SHUMAX; sounds like you're in good hands! I'm here if you need assistance from my neck of the woods. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Back